Split from: Cozumel Incident - Fake C Cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to consider - I heard that until recently(?), NAUI used your SSN as your cert number. If that's true, I personally wouldn't have any qualms refusing to put down a number at some random charter/resort.
That was way in the past ... before the advent of internet and the popularity of identity theft.

I've held NAUI cards since 2002, and been issuing them since 2004 and until recently NAUI didn't put any number on a card until you reached DM and higher ... and in that case you are issued a "member number" (mine is 41751, which has nothing to do with my SSN). As of early this year, NAUI prints a number on recreational-level cards, but it still has nothing to do with your SSN.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Checking C-cards seems to be a big problem in the industry. I have rarely been asked for a card in 10 years and 4000 dives, and the few times I have been asked have mostly been by quarry operators, not dive operators. (Actually the first time I was carded in the past 7 years was when an employer ran my certs thru procheck, which impressed me no end). It might have something to do with the fact that Ive been diving bp/w for my whole dive career, and showing up with that kind of gear 10 years ago (before their popularity) certainly made an impression, but that is no excuse. I personally check every c-card, and go beyond that by asking number of dives, cert level, date of last dive, etc... whether or not that is required on sign in paperwork. I like to know what Im dealing with on a dive, and it just seems like common sense. These checks are quick and easy, I cant understand why people skip them. No card, no dive, and I dont care if I lose the money, its not worth the risk.

To the person who observed that diving is not covered by the law, so who cares about cards, I have this to say.... the reason that laws dont cover diving is exactly because we are self policing. that kind of laissez-faire attitude will lead to more accidents, and enough of those will lead to legal regulation of the industry. I dont think anyone wants that.

I have beem carded many different places in the states. Ouside the US I do not know.

My theory is that in many exotic places outside the US they probably get so many people who did the crash course diving that they just don't ask for them. As far as fake C-cards I'm not sure but who's to say they don't know someone that owns a dive shop and just asked for a c-card to be able to purchase gear. Just my 2 cents

And another thing. Let's quit ridiculing some of us for jumping off the boat without air in our BCD's and/or reg in our mouths. I do that a lot. About the only time I put in air is to stay off the bottom. I float on the surface anyway. The regulator thing? Don't wanna talk about it.

If your that talented that you can always hit the water ready to decend, thats great. I think that for the MAJORITY, adding air to your bc before jumping is a good idea. Most dive ops and friends alike to see that your ok before you decend. This is assuming your not diving in a heavy current where a fast desent is required.

I have dove Cozumel, Honduras, Canada, England, USA and Cuba always had to show my C card, in Florida my log book aswell as we were doing a 100ft + dive on the Duane and the Spiegel Grove, if they dont ask I would wonder about the Dive OP!!

I have dove Cozumel, Honduras, Canada, England, USA and Cuba always had to show my C card, in Florida my log book aswell as we were doing a 100ft + dive on the Duane and the Spiegel Grove, if they dont ask I would wonder about the Dive OP!!
They actually looked at your cards; not just had you fill out paperwork? We know that Padi and most other agencies do little to police the operators, and their liabilities are greatly reduced if they have the paperwork ok. While we are largely self policing, it's pretty loose in some areas.

Well, my last few trips have been with the same Op where many remember my name from the last time, so my memory of others may be fading. I used to present my cards with my Visa card, but then started waiting to see who would ask - and few did, even for Key Largo wrecks where they do get a lot of newbies.

Never showed my log book; stopped carrying it, then stopped keeping one. Maybe they look at my stuffed dive bag, camera bag, pony bottle bag, and my knapsack of other things and just accept I must have my cards - or maybe my age has something to do with my experiences?

I make sure they have my DAN insurance info tho, wear a DAN card on my BC and have that number on a dog tag I wear everywhere.

Do they even ask for c-cards in Mexico? Aldora is the only op in mexico I've ever dove with that actually asked for a card.....
I have been to a few dive on Coz and they all have asked to see my card the first time I was with them. They looked at it when i signed the waiver sheet. Even Opal asked me for it again when I dove with their new shop at Scubamaucozumel and I had dove with mau alot before.
This is not fair to say that dive ops are not asking for c-cards.

Not wanting to offend you or anyone else but, If you knew that the guy was not trained and you knew he presented false credentials and you knew this for a fact, if the guy died, wouldn't you be culpable, waivers or not? I would think so. I know that Scuba is supposed to be self policing, or at least I thought it was. If the dive op is is associated with one of these agencies I would think they could lose their association. I don't know, just speculating. But, knowing what I know right now, 1) I would refuse to be his buddy, 2) I would call attention to the "fake" C-card with the dive operator. Thats just me!

Why would I be culpable? There are no laws. Self-policing isn't law.

People have the right to be stupid and kill themselves...as long as they sign the waivers of liability.

Why would I be culpable? There are no laws. Self-policing isn't law.

People have the right to be stupid and kill themselves...as long as they sign the waivers of liability.

OK, If I owned the dive op and I knew someone's card was fake, the only thing they would get from me is their money back. Now, that is self policing isn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom