Split from: Cozumel Incident - Fake C Cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can appreciate everyone's opinion. My point is, If the industry does not try to maintain some kind of "self policing", the government (State or Federal) will. I don't think that is what anybody wants. Maybe it is? My opinion is I don't want the government (state or federal) involved in yet another facet of my life. I am already legislated and taxed on enough. A shop or an operator can simply state it is their policy not to sell air fills or not to allow someone to dive from their boat if they do not have a certification card, and that is good enough for me. If they get around it and dive from a private boat using their own compressor, it is their responsibility to be trained, not mine. I want no part of their negligence.

dmoore19, I did not make myself clear. I am not disagreeing with you regarding wanting more government. We have too much. The point I was trying to make is I don't see where anyone, Self or Industry, or Government, has any authority to do any policing in the first place.

There are only industry recommendations that might be violated. Its akin to not changing the oil in your auto engine at the manufacturers recommended intervals. No one (self, industry, or government) should police someone for not following industry recommendations, no matter how universally they are held, or how smart it would be to follow. I'd hate to see gas stations feel they had to confirm my oil was changed timely before they would sell me gas. (Much less have the gas station attendant verify I had a valid driver's license - which is a law).

I don't know how we can punish or otherwise hold someone responsible for not checking for something that is only an industry recommendation. But, that persons insurance company most certainly and probably does make those industry recommendations a compliance requirement, to limit liability exposure.

dmoore19, I did not make myself clear. I am not disagreeing with you regarding wanting more government. We have too much. The point I was trying to make is I don't see where anyone, Self or Industry, or Government, has any authority to do any policing in the first place.

There are only industry recommendations that might be violated. Its akin to not changing the oil in your auto engine at the manufacturers recommended intervals. No one (self, industry, or government) should police someone for not following industry recommendations, no matter how universally they are held, or how smart it would be to follow. I'd hate to see gas stations feel they had to confirm my oil was changed timely before they would sell me gas. (Much less have the gas station attendant verify I had a valid driver's license - which is a law).

I don't know how we can punish or otherwise hold someone responsible for not checking for something that is only an industry recommendation. But, that persons insurance company most certainly and probably does make those industry recommendations a compliance requirement, to limit liability exposure.

On this, we certainly agree. I don't think one needs to be "punished" for diving without a card, without luck they will do that themselves. I don't see it as being a criminal act, I see it as stupidity. I think the industry would be well served to attempt to reduce the chances of fatalities before there is legislation and criminal statutes put in place by our all knowing, revenue seeking,unefficient government. Maybe the term "policing" is what is wrong with what I am trying to say?

I was about to say you are wrong, and that I've seen their English page. But now when I go to their French page FQAS Bienvenue and click on "English", it sends me right back to the French page. Perhaps a website glitch. I'd send them an email, but my French sux.

The FQAS site has been like this since day one click on the English link it kicks you back to French, like I said it is a insult as I live in Quebec but speak English, I had a hard time figuring out what I had to do to renew my card, I sent emails on more than one occasion but no response.

Now a question for all the people who would like some kind of government intervention WHY? Is there a high accident rate in diving compared to other sports? How would passing a law improve the diving safety?

I was thinking of getting me a black ninja outfit with PADI SWAT embroidered on the back and maybe some sort of PADI POLICE badge that I can show to the fake C-card users or the unsafe divers.

Just point your FN FAL at them, that should convince them.

I can appreciate everyone's opinion. My point is, If the industry does not try to maintain some kind of "self policing", the government (State or Federal) will. I don't think that is what anybody wants. Maybe it is? My opinion is I don't want the government (state or federal) involved in yet another facet of my life. I am already legislated and taxed on enough. A shop or an operator can simply state it is their policy not to sell air fills or not to allow someone to dive from their boat if they do not have a certification card, and that is good enough for me. If they get around it and dive from a private boat using their own compressor, it is their responsibility to be trained, not mine. I want no part of their negligence.

Name me one recreational activity that the government, either local, state, or federal mandates training to be able to participate in where the act of participation only endangers the participant and not the public at large.

As far as to training, it in and of itself opens the libility Pandora's box. Without training there would be nothing to be gained in the way of law suits because there would be no neglegence on the part of the dive operator unless he ran over the diver with the boat.

Name me one recreational activity that the government, either local, state, or federal mandates training to be able to participate in where the act of participation only endangers the participant and not the public at large.

The risks associated with other recreational activities (for the most part) do not require proper instruction. Name a recreational activity that has as large a personal risk factor as Scuba. Fact is, if deaths continue to happen, the Govmnt is going to get involved. The industry should at least attempt to stop untrained people from killing themselves. My opinion. Keep goverment from intruding even further into my life. If a LDS keeps one untrained diver from killing himself by refusing to give them an airfill, isn't it worth it?(this comment is made with a little sarcasm added) I can just hear a goverment official saying we are going to enact legislation to mandate training of scuba divers. This will require they present their license prior to receiving airfills.

The risks associated with other recreational activities (for the most part) do not require proper instruction. Name a recreational activity that has as large a personal risk factor as Scuba.

Ten most dangerous sports, other than cave diving scuba doesn't make the top 10. It might make you feel macho if you think it is so dangerous but it ain't necessarly so.

Extreme Sports Cafe Blog Blog Archive The ten most DANGEROUS sports in the world!

With fixed bayonet, baby!!!

"Halt, who dives there?!!! Let me see your cert card...NOW!!!"

I didn't think Caliefoorneia allowed you guys such toys.

Back
Top Bottom