Split fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCS once bubbled...

as I am curious, are these fins really that bad and actually cause all the bad technique and silt stirring or is it the fact that the divers that tend to buy these things are not very good or too new to know better and have been taken in by the shop/instructor?

I have a set of TUSA Zooms. From everything I've read on the board, they shouldn't be worth a darn. But I like them. I'm getting a little older (translated lazier & softer). I swam competitively in high school and learned to do a lot of kicking without fins, so the transition was very easy. I dove with what amounts to a jet fin look alike for years till I got these. To me, they're unquestionably easier on the legs. I don't notice any problem keeping up (easily) with the people I dive with. And I've not reallly noticied alot of the other control issues expressed by so many others. They do what I need them to, and that's what matters. Haven't had them in a strong current, but wasn't an issue for me in a light/moderate one. I'm always conscious of where I am, and understand where the turbulence of my equipment is, and try to adjust my motion accordingly.

I am thinkking about getting a set of Mares Quattros's to try though. Just to see how they compare. Thought about dragging my old jets back out after reading all the comments here, but don't remember seeing them since the last itme I moved.

As to the silting, sounds more like an experience/awareness issue. Dove last year in Roatan with several people like you describe. It didn't matter what kind of fins they had. Talking with them on the ride in & out, most of them were the proverbial "vacation" divers with little or inconsistent experience.

I've been diving since 1964. I love the split fins. They do whats advertised - less effort more results. Personnally, I don't care about speed, just ease of use. Locally, they're sold with a money back gaurantee( to all level of divers) and they ARE NOT returned. But, not all equipment is for all divers or all situations. HOWEVER, bottom line to me, is the type of equipment (rarely) has very little to do with which divers treat the underwater world with respect.

Happy diving.

And the two couldn't be more different.

The Jets CANNOT be used at high power for very long without causing either cramps or EXTREMELY high SACs.

The splits CAN. In a current this can be a BIG deal.

The splits are damn near USELESS on the surface though, while the Jets are not (!) That was a surprise.

The Jets are better for extremely "fine" movement. The Splits tend to take a couple of cycles before you actually get moving, which is a bit odd, and inhibits VERY fine (as in move a foot here, or 6" there) movement.

I have no trouble sculling with either, or with helicopter turns with either.

I can't back up with either, but I get closer to doing it with the Jets :)

Both work for frog kicks; the Jets are probably a bit easier.

The splits WILL silt more even if you are completely horizontal and even if you attempt to mitigate it with a frog kick than the Jets. I assume that has to do with the "venturi" effect from the split. You DO have to pay better attention with them if you'd like your vis to remain undisturbed :)

I may sell the Jets (I put spring straps on both) on eBAY if I don't change my mind about their utility sometime reasonably soon....

Thanks much Roland!!

Since joining the board I've read, with some amusement, quite a few threads describing the worth or worthlessness of split fins. This is my first, and probably only, reply to any of them. I'm certainly not what I consider a technically great diver, but I do have some experience underwater. I passed the 300 dive mark in December but it's taken me since 1974 to do it.

My first experience with split fins was in Tahiti in December. In the 25 dives that I used my SP twin jets I was pretty happy. To me, they seemed to give more power for less effort. Keep in mind the qualified "to me" . Yes, I did flutter kick more than normal, but that didn't bother me. What I did find was that I didn't need to have as broad of a kick to obtain the movement I wanted out of them. No, I couldn't back up with them, but, I don't do that very well regardless of what I'm wearing.

I guess the point is that I am diving with the fins that I want to dive with. If I decide to change it will be because of a qualified decision on my part. I guess that I just can't see why there is so much emotion wrapped up in this!

If you don't like it don't use it. It's no different than any other decision. I don't like Coors Light so I drink Pilsner Urquell. If you like Coors Light....be my guest, it's your decision.

raybo once bubbled...

I am thinkking about getting a set of Mares Quattros's to try though. Just to see how they compare.

Hey Raybo, if we ever get a chance to dive together you can try my Quattro's. I like them!

I love my twin jets. IMO the problems, BCS, have more to do with diver education then any specific piece of gear. Bad bouyancy & trim are just that. Last trip to quarry I saw an entire nitrox class dragging danglies, fins, hands across the bottom. Bingo - bye, bye viz. I took it as an opportunity to use those nav skills.

And Bacchus - I'll have wine, please. Nice cab blend.

Jersey once bubbled...
And Bacchus - I'll have wine, please. Nice cab blend.

You keep drinking wine! That's what pays my mortgage. In the wine business we have a saying...."It takes a lot of beer to make wine."
:relaxing:

I totally disagree regarding split finns, not because I own a pair but because I have tried others and really dont see the big drawback that is being presented in these posts... I have the scubapro twin jets and really have no problem with them, I dive off the florida coast where you usually get good currents and swells and if you use the proper kicking method the finns work pretty fine IMHO and besides that since it displaces less watter the resistance is much less, it might give you the impression you are not moving very much because you dont "feel" the water but you do move at a quite good pace... again just my opinion, I think everything is relative and requires getting used to.

Another important point is your muscle development since for the split finns, the kick is totally different, you require much more continuos movement and use a set of muscles that in some people is not well developed. I play soccer a lot so my leg/waist muscles are in good shape and I dont get tired for the constant movement...

Bye
Ivan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom