Split fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Board! I know this is going to seem like a troll post, but I am truly not trolling. I do have a couple of questions, though regarding split fins. I just spent the last couple of days diving in the local quarry as it is the only local open water this time of year, and we had tremendous visibilty, that is until the split finned divers arrived. I know I may seem a little prejudgemental here, but please hear me out. I have been diving for approximately 17 years pretty actively, and I have to say that everytime I see these split finned divers, they are plowing across the bottom and destrying the visibility. Hell, most did not even have to plow across the bottom, they'll be swimming a good 5' off the bottom, stroking like a madman and travelling maybe 6' every 10 kick cycles, and stirring up a mud trail everywhere they go. A couple other observations, these divers NEVER stop moving. Not for a second, and they are rarely, if ever, horizontal as they swim. The ones that look like they are really not enjoying the dive seem to be the divers sporting the twin cylinders and split fins, they are kicking like banshees and barely moving. I have seen all kinds of experience levels using these things to include the so called "local pro" trimix instructor. None of them look good, and let's face it, does anyone really want to look like this going through the water, besides the fact that they are not making any friends when they destroy the fanastic viz that some of us happen to enjoy once in a blue moon. I have tried out the split fins and I have heard all the numbers, the real number that seems to make any difference with mainstream scuba gear is the profit margin for the shop and that seems to be what drives the sales of these things (at $30 to $80 more than other fins...why don't you just take a sawsall to some quattros?? :wink:. Please don't quote the numbers to me about work effort and the such, diving is not a race, I always thought it was supposed to be enjoyed while relaxing, and I have never seen these people stop kicking underwater, so they cannot be relaxing too much down there. I know that is indicitave of poor buoyancy control, but do all of these split finned divers have poor buoyancy control?
Once again, not a troll, but my question is, as I am curious, are these fins really that bad and actually cause all the bad technique and silt stirring or is it the fact that the divers that tend to buy these things are not very good or too new to know better and have been taken in by the shop/instructor?
Once again, these are all just observations and experience talking, I am truly not trying to offend anyone, but would like to hear a good explanation of this observation. Thanks guys!

I agree. I bought a pair of ScubaPro split fins to try when they came out, and absolutely hate them. They are ok for a flutter kick but, I don't even use a flutter kick. I was not told this when I bought them. I'll probably stick them on Ebay later.

They do kick up more silt and I have yet to see a decent diver use them. Split fins are pretty limited in use and are not very practical. Dive shops push them to make more $.

OK, so I'm going to be all alone on this, but...
I love my Apollos. I bought them when they 1st came out and I swear it's like wearing bedroom slippers. Now, I don't cave, and I try to stay out of the current. Just easy mellow sightseeing and video shoots and they're ideal FOR ME. I've swapped with my buddy who has Volos and we each hated each others fins.

I think the problem your seeing is all to common. I see it all the time too, but not just with splits. Everyone is tryint kick the fin off their foot. I repeatedly tell students "If your ankles pass each other more than once per second, you're kicking too hard and too fast. Slow down, save the air and look at all the stuff while your down there rather than asking me where that was when you look at my videos.

I love my Apollos also.I'm new to scuba but so not new to snorkeling I couldn't believe the ease now!But I also see the point to.I dive with newbies like myself most when I dive at all.I hate eating their sand cause of their fins but also noticed it wasn't just splits that where doing it.My question is the people that silt you out maybe they are newbies too?

Jen

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I was beginning to think I was being ignored because it sounded like a troll post.
I too thought it was all just new divers (which to me, is no excuse as new divers should have a modicum of buoyancy control, be somewhat streamlined, and be able to proficiently propel themselves through the water) but I did see a few divers in twins and I have even seen some instructors, both recreational and "technical", plowing through the bottom in these things. I just have never seen anyone "look good" in these fins, much less have a handle on propulsion or positioning themselves in the water too well.
My post was really to see if others noticed this as well or was I being a little too critical after driving a couple of hours to enjoy the great viz and get some decent video footage only to have it destroyed by these split finned divers. Probably the latter. I will try to be a bit more tolerant :).

I have the ScubaPro Twin Jets and I like mine. I use them mostly for wreck diving and I have an old pair of turboflex for the caves. I agree that they do feel more comfortable and you should tell those people that were kicking up the silt to get off the bottom and control their bouyancy.

Thanks
W R

I just have to take issue with your description of a diver with split fins. I would think that generally it would not matter what kind of fins those individuals wore they would still kick up a mess and never stop moving. Split fins work very well in most conditions. I think a serious Photographer may have a reasonable argument that staying staationary with reg. fins is easier. I know I go faster and farther with splitfins than my regular fins. My kick is different tho shorter faster revolutions. works very well for a frog kick or flutter or scull in confined areas. I suspect the individuals you are describing would benefit from some Bouyancy training and general instruction not new fins.

Cherry

Aren't split fins the universal cure for leg cramps? I figure if you keep em neg and head up they will have to keep kicking so they don't sink. Then...when they cramp up you sell em $180 fins that are broken to cure the cramps. Thats much easier than teaching technique isn't it.

BCS,
First, no offense taken to you post! I to have seen divers geared up like they're going to dive the Andrea Doria, and all they do is wallow around on the bottom. I have no explanation as to why so many divers have bouyancy control problems. The "Bottom Grubbers" I see tend to have a wide range of gear configurations, not limited to a particular fin, BC, etc. I can tell you that I wear split fins, have good bouyancy control and don't leave mud trails behind me. Come on down to Florida and we'll go diving. :tree: Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob!! I may just take you up on that offer to dive! I was just in Fla in November for a week, will be there again from the 16th till the 27th and again in February. Usually either in the High Springs area or the West Palm Beach area. I know this is off the subject, but I have dived the Gulf before and much prefer a cave or the Atlantic side when in Florida, I have a former student asking me about places to dive in the St Petersburg area. Do you know of any? He will be without a buddy and is quite new to diving. I personally wasn't going to recommend a Gulf dive to him, but he insists that he would enjoy it.
Thanks in advance!!

Back
Top Bottom