Split Fins vs. Regular Fins

Split Fins or Regular Fins?

• Split Fins

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Regular Fins

Votes: 56 50.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No split fin, I love scubapro Jet fin

Depends on how you kick.

Flutter? Splits are cool, fast, efficient, kind to joints.

Frog, Modified Frog, Helicopter turns, back-kick, Modified flutter? Solid blade fins.

Different strokes for ......

Wait a minute, that's not coming out right :eyebrow: .

YMMV.

Claudette

Jets for me because they move out fast, stop on a dime, allow me to turn by just working my ankles and pointing my feet, and they are the only fins that I can back up with against a mild to moderate current.

Splits are just too mushy feeling for me.

I like my splits (Atomic's). They're a bit stiffer than some of the others, so I get a bit more of the "responsiveness" of a blade fin. I also find they're great heading into a current...and require far less effort.

However, as others have said, there is a trade-off. I cannot backfin with my splits (although it can be funny to watch me attempt it...lol). I also pretty much can't frog kick with them (again..funny to watch..not so effective). Then again..diving in water that quite often isn't stock still, frog kicks haven't been much use to me anyway. I have found that I can turn fairly easily (in a sort of modified modified helicopter turn...)..so you don't necessarily lose that technique. And as far as silting goes...I have to disagree with TSandM on this one...especially up in the sound where the vis is more than sufficient to see the bottom well before you come up on it. (Now out on the OR coast it can be a different story...) Not silting in open spaces is far less about fin technique and far more about bouyancy control and staying up off the bottom. (note..I said "open spaces"...cavers and wreckers have valid reason to be concerned about silting...)

Cheers,
Austin

Austin,

I had a graphic demonstration in Indonesia that you can fin in a completely vertical position and not silt out . . . if you're willing to spend the whole dive ten or more feet off the bottom.

On the other hand, I have almost two years of experience of diving behind flutter kickers with very good buoyancy control in the Sound, and I will tell you that anybody using a full leg flutter kick less than ten feet off the bottom is leaving a thick, annoying trail of silt behind them. It's an unavoidable consequence of the mechanics of the kick.

Wait, wait, wait...there's the problem...FULL flutter! Why are you full fluttering with split fins? The whole point of the split is a faster-recyling, easier modified flutter. (Not to mention the angling of the fin itself to provide the maximum amount of thrust BEHIND the diver...if trimmed out horizontally..) And a split by design should produce less downdraft on each kick that a standard boardfin using the same technique.

And in good vis (read: 15' or better)...why are we plastered to the bottom? People can't cruise at 7-10' and if they see something cool, descend a few feet with good breath control and ascend the same way? Why are we finning in a vertical position that close to the bottom, btw? (again..in open water) One good deep inhale/complete exhale should take you up or down 10' or so if you let it by not adjusting a bouyancy control device.

Bah...we'll agree to disagree...:wink:.

It's a trade-off either way you go. In water with little current/overhead environments then I can see the clear advantage of boardfins/jets...for general purpose/currents, I think the ease of the splits (less work for more thrust) is better.

Cheers,
Austin

What I see is that flutter kickers, regardless of fin type, kick up silt just about any time that they are within 5' of the bottom. Frog kickers can almost put their belly button on the bottom and not disturb it. Now these are just the people I have followed around. Not any kind of scientific study.

I frog kick 95%+ of the time and paddles seem to work best for that.

3-Ring Octopus:
Wait, wait, wait...there's the problem...FULL flutter! Why are you full fluttering with split fins?

I agree with 3-Ring Octopus. It comes down to technique as well as equipment. I can move at 3' off the bottom of a silty quarry [Blue Springs, IN - for those of you that know] using my Atomics without kicking up silt.

Like he said, you don't do a full flutter with splits. And you keep it tighter if you want to hug the bottom.

Likewise, someone using bad technique will wonder why his SB-recommended Jets make him look like an old steam locomotive.

Have a pair of Dacor Turbo Flex Fins that I have used for over 14 years :D I love them and will have to look to Ebay or something to eventually replace(if they ever wear out :D) I got Bright White ones too, You can always find me by looking for my fins...Great for all my kicks, not for everyone though as its a big stiff fin...really stiff

otdrDivingFinsAllDacor_Turboflex_SP1-resized200.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom