Split Fins vs. Regular Fins

Split Fins or Regular Fins?

• Split Fins

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Regular Fins

Votes: 56 50.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze:
Hey guys,

I've searched through the forum for this topic and was unable to find it. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of split fins? Does anyone prefer split fins over regular fins or vice verse? Thanks...

From my viewpoint, I'll let you know in one week....bought my 1st pair of split fins in Jan(have not tried them @ all) & bringing only them to CZM in 3 days.......I hope I think they're better...lol.........

splits are like nothing is on your feet meaning you dont feel them when you were non split you get more power and you can feel them i like splits as i dont need the power but it still goes farly good.. and they are like swimming with your feet only..

RJP:
What tests are you referring too?

Must be tests that didn't include frog kicking.

Ok then ,,,polls,forums.write ups etc....
Did alot of searching before I bought my splits. Found more people liked them than didn't

I used to dive ScubaPro Jet fins a long time ago. When I got back into diving a few years ago I strapped on a pair of Jet Fins for a few laps and turns around the pool. I then put on a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jets and never looked back. Big difference for me. I found the Twins to be fast and easy to kick. Although for confined areas I prefer a smaller fin like the old Jet fins.

I think if you primarily flutter kick, the split fins are great. They're comfortable and reduce the effort you put out, and so I think they also reduce cramping.

On the other hand, flutter kicking has its drawbacks, especially here in the PNW, where bottoms are always silty. Full flutter kick invariably leaves a trail of silt in the water.

For other kicks, you need a stiff fin to make them work well, and split fins are the antithesis of stiff.

I use Jets. I don't flutter kick much any more.

I have both split and solid fins. There are things I like/dislike about both. Kicking a split feels like there's nothing on my foot as someone else noted. I can also make smaller kicks or kick faster. What I don't like with the split is the less effective frog kick (but that may be my lousy frog kick :D ), and I haven't found a way to reverse with them. The solid fins also seem to be better stopping (i.e. swimming at max effort and need to stop NOW). The solids also let me (warning - three step process coming) point my toe, rotate the leg so my knee points outward, and then lift the foot to point my body somewhere.

Splits will give you more power v. effort and are faster. You need to do kind of a tight flutter kick.
Paddles are more intuitive to use and are more "precise". Alternate kicks also seem to work better with paddles.
I believe splits work better against a current though many will argue otherwise because I believe:
1. They don't "feel" it when they use splits so they don't think they are working.
2. Paddles are faster out of the gate than splits. You gotta give split a second or 2 to a appreciate them.
3. They are kicking incorrectly with the splits.
4. They may just be very strong and use their strength more effectively than the "aerodynamics" provided by splits.
I have 3 sets of fins. Jets (original not split), Apollo BioFin splits and USD original Blades. Depending on the dive, I will use and am very happy with all three.

Paddle fins are like driving manual transmission in low gear. Very torque-y and great initial acceleration (not speed - acceleration). Your engine/legs have to work harder for that change acceleration.

Splits are like cruising on 5th gear. Lower energy spenditure to keep moving at the same rate. Lower RPMs/strain on muscles.

The perfect fin would have the torque and responsiveness of a paddle and become less stiff as you keep moving.

Sounds like a great DIY project. In fact, I just thought of a simple, elegant design for it. Looks like I'll be busy for the next couple months.

Split fins are modern and technically advanced and passing by the old paddle style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom