Split fins vs full fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don’t get why anyone would criticize someone else’s opinion on fin choice. My wife has tried several fins and has settled on the Atomic Splits. Myself, I like two different fins, the Omega Flip fins for shore diving and my Cressi Reactions for boat diving. I also have a 20+ year old set of jets but I only keep them for nostalgic reasons. I might try the splits someday but until then, I’m happy with my choices.

I would suggest you try whatever fins that make your heart go pitter patter and buy the ones you like and that fit your diving style.

OMS Slipstream. In the water they are much softer than the jets and oh so much easier on the skin. Additionally in the water they are not so heavy.

Personally, I'd say borrow some fins and try them all out. Your gonna get people that will force one thing on you because they believe it to be cool, though they haven't tried other options. I've seen people who get the tops of their feet worn by the Jets, yet they will stand by them through all the pain they're feet are having :shakehead:

<---------- see my avatar! :D

and yes, this question has been asked many times.

I have Twin Jets and OMS Slipstreams. They both work fine, but behave differently.

I think TSandM summed it up real well. Splits work well with flutter kicking and they don't seem to take as much energy to move in the water, but they do not have sensitive reaction or response to certain kicks or movement compared to paddles.

I seem to exert more energy with my Slipstreams when doing a flutter kick, but they seem more efficient with other kicks and I get response from them just moving my ankle at a different angle.

Anyways, blah, blah. As suggested, try a pair of both of them. I like both of them, but prefer my Slipstreams for most of my diving.

hope this helps,

:zen:

I was going to move to splits and then I saw the most recent review that showed that the Mares Superchannel kept up with the top splits, or did I misread? Now I really don't know what to do.

Personally…I thought the OP had a reasonable question – most of these are a flat; which is better. He speaks of being heavy, so … just food for thought.:coffee:

I’m heavy in the feet end and use a positive split chosen for other reasons but, keeping for the time being a large part because they are positive. I carry very little weight and my heavy feet and short stature make trim a challenge. I was amazed at how much a fin makes in the balancing issue.

Use the search function for crying out loud!

Other than that ...::coffee::popcorn:popcorn:

What is the advantage of one over the other. I presently have split jet fins. My only
complaint is that they are heavy

I have Had Scuba Pro Jetfins, Scuba pro Split Speed fins and Force Fins.
My Choice is the force fin.
They are Preferred by Navy seals,and are the most comfortible fin i have ever used.
But since the navy seals like them so much the price has almost doubled on them.
Leisure pro has a pair like have ,which are called the adjustible for 199.00

I've seen people who get the tops of their feet worn by the Jets, yet they will stand by them through all the pain they're feet are having :shakehead:

I can vouch for that! If you aren't going to wear any booties, don't dive with jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom