Split fins vs full fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have a suggestion for fins that are easy on the knees?

that is a loaded question some people say splits but i always recommend some jet fins or oms slips streams with proper finning technic ie:frog kick,modified frog,modified flutter allot easier on the knees

And unless your diving no current dives in very light gear split fins are a deadly combination they have very little power when it is needed and cant do anything other than a flutter kick

I'm not critizing Force Fins, but I dive every weekend on boats with 10 to 20 divers and two international trips a year, I never see Force Fins. I find it very hard to get a feel for them when they are so unpopular. Something should be done to really get them out to the public or give the free to DM's. Like I say, I'm not saying anything bad, but they are almost invisible to me and the rest of the diving public.

Chuckitall,
Please let me know where you are and where you do most of your diving as I would like to find someone or some dive shop near you who has or carries Force Fins. You are not alone in your feelings and I hope that this year we will have some diver demos in different areas of North America to help people like yourself make a choice and try out the fins. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks for the input!

Been away on business. Sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks for all the imput. I am going to try the blades and see how they feel.

I'm not critizing Force Fins, but I dive every weekend on boats with 10 to 20 divers and two international trips a year, I never see Force Fins. I find it very hard to get a feel for them when they are so unpopular. Something should be done to really get them out to the public or give the free to DM's. Like I say, I'm not saying anything bad, but they are almost invisible to me and the rest of the diving public.
Force Fins are such a Radically designed fin that most divers who just look at them dont want to even try them.
But after you do, you are hooked for life.
There has to be a reason why the Navy seals like them enough to adopt them as there fin!
My LDS carrys Scubapro,aqualung,sherwood,and many more,and yet they prefer Force Fins.
They however are very pricey now that they have the seals buying them.

They however are very pricey now that they have the seals buying them.

Force Fins' popularity among Seals has no bearing on the price. The cost of making Force Fins greatly exceeds that of other fins due to the type of materials used and the fact that they are manufactured in the US under strict controls. Even with the relatively high retail price, the profit margin on Force Fins is much less than what is typical in the industry. I will celebrate the day Bob gets rich off his designs, because I think he's earned it, but that day has not yet arrived.

I happen to know for a fact that when the University at Buffalo did a fin study test they took force fins out of the review because they didnt test that well. I know many people that have told me this. I would go with split fins, they are so easy to move through the water it makes diving so much easier. I own a pair of Blades 2 flex and a pair of the Oceanic V-12s, i like using the v-12s more and the only reason i dont is because they are sized for my drysuit, the day that i can get my hands on a pair of V-16's from oceanic im gonna get them for my wetsuit boots. Split Fins are what is popular, that is why you see a manufacturer like Mares starting to get into the Split Fin Arena with the Raptor Fin.

These are links to the shop i work for.
dipndive.com - Home
dipndive@verizon.net

I happen to know for a fact that when the University at Buffalo did a fin study test they took force fins out of the review because they didnt test that well. I know many people that have told me this.

Can you provide a citation for this study, or the names of any of the key researchers? What department at the university undertook this study? Were their findings published? Where? What methods did they use to determine the relative effectiveness of different fins? And if their purpose was to elucidate the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of fins, why on Earth would they exclude data on a product that tested poorly?

I have no doubt that you have heard this from a number of people, but how can we accept that you know it "for a fact" when we don't know how credible those sources are? A lot of people know "for a fact" that Neiman Marcus sold a cookie recipe for $250 and there's a little dying boy named Craig who wants you to send him your business card and Buzz Aldrin said "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" upon setting foot on the moon. I'm not saying what you said didn't happen, I'm just saying I'd need something more concrete to go on before I would take it seriously. Any information that would make it possible to track down the study, or those who conducted it, would be very helpful.

Thanks very much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom