Split Fins or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares Quatros I believe.

My 25 year old Jets flexed pretty much. Not so much my new ones.

I tried splits for a few months a couple years ago when I got a smokin' deal on some of the black tusa xpert zooms. I enjoyed diving with them, until on a couple dives I was in moderate current (wreck) and needed to really move. After that experience I switched over to Hollis F1's and couldn't be happier. Sold the split fins for what I paid.

Mares Avanti Quattro or Poseidon Forza. Both of them are paddle fins with a flexible rubber type insert in the blade. They have a great feel in the water. avanti quattro.jpgForza.jpg

Interestingly, I just spent a week on the boat with one of the WKPP gas divers, who is also a GUE cave instructor. He told me he rarely uses the frog kick any more . . .

I don't know what brand of fins Steve is using in the video, but I can tell you that, with a properly performed flutter kick, Jets flex almost that much.

......he's probably using a scooter now. :)

While I agree with the observation that the topic has been beaten to death many times over I would like to make everyone aware of a problem with this statement "...it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you".

It feels good to bolt to the surface when the slightest problem occurs - until this kills you.
It feels good to swim in 45 degree trim - until it drags you down (pun intended) when you stop kicking.
It feels good to bicycle kick a split fin - until you really need to move forward.
It feels good to do the last two items at the same time - until you need to return the same (now silted-out) way you came from.

For land-based mammals a lot of the "right" things feel "wrong" at first underwater. The key is to get beyond this stage and not succumb to "feel good" and "instant gratification" urges.

:confused:

Dive what you like. Like what you dive.

The real answer isn't what is better, split v.paddle. The answer is ,"which do YOU prefer."

This dude obviously, just went diving

[video=youtube;8ahQYqho7w4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahQYqho7w4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

doesn't need a stiff fin or a big red car

no time for all the malarkey about fins

too busy, learning, to use what he has

talent

When I grow up I wanna be just like him. Amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom