Split Fins or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! brother from down under. Very cool video.

Bravo.

One of my favorite videos. I bet he can do the same skills with Jets, split-fins, or a piece of plywood duct-taped to his feet.

However, I would venture a guess that Steve had teachers and practiced in a focussed fashion (rather than doing what feels good) to arrive at this degree of body control.

Notice that he is intentionally (!) breaking at the hips during the full frog while he is able to holds his thighs straight on the flutter and modified frog. He is aware and in control of his body and that takes years of dedicated practice in any sport. This is completely different from the average diver who is neither aware of his/her body positioning nor able to change it (and then asking what fins will compensate for that problem).

While shopping for spring straps, I just found this morsel of wisdom on the site of a dive equipment retailer (i.e. someone who likes to sell you stuff):

"Beware of Fin Hyperbole
Fin designs are an aspect of dive equipment that seem more like fashion trends, and there seems to always be someone promoting "a better mousetrap." Most of these elaborate fin designs work fine when used to move forward at a modest speed using a flutter scissor kick, and the split fin design tests especially well in this regard. However, many designs are poor if you wish to frog kick or use almost any of the swimming techniques preferred by experienced divers in tight spaces. Even with a full scissor kick, the fancy fins are weak when swimming all out against current, or working to overcome the drag of a drysuit or technical equipment. Full foot pockets and elaborate heel strap systems are also more likely to cause the loss of a fin in forceful swimming.

We've always been mystified by the preference for fancy fins, but in March 2010 we saw a video of a large number of new divers swimming in a variety of different fin designs and had an epiphany. Many of these fancy fins actually do seem to help swimmers with very poor swimming technique, particularly if the diver is using a kick that looks like they are pedaling a bicycle. Be skeptical of those "fin performance reviews" that favor the casual recreational diver; many experienced divers who have learned how to swim properly will choose a versatile no-frills open-heel fin design with a stiff blade and a strong, reliable spring strap at an affordable price."

Last edited:
Don't mind the .gifs or the non-responses. They are just ways of saying this question has been raised more times than most of us can count. There are opinions for and against every form of fin with, for the most part, no real answers. And, if there are such real answers (as some would argue), they are not believed by many. So (and this is just IMHO) it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you, what you elect to believe and what fits your wallet size. Others may argue that my oh so forceful opinion is wrong.

Best answer so far.
...0p

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

I think if you look a little closer at that video you'll see fins that are too flexible and not transfering all of the energy into the water. Do they work? Yes. Are there better fins? Yes.

The reason stiff paddle fins are harder on your legs is because they are pushing harder on the water. It's like a bicycle. It's easier to peddle in low gear, but you're also delivering less power to the road, thus moving slower. There's no free lunch. If the fins are easier on your legs, it's because they're not pushing on the water as hard.

The frog kick in particular is more efficient, but not for the reason most people think. You can get a glide going and thus coast or rest a bit after kick. A good frog kicker can glide 5 feet after one kick. So you can actually kick fewer times to cover the same distance. Yes, each kick may use more energy, but it can be almost 3 flutter kicks to 1 frog. There's little or no coast or glide after a flutter kick. The frog kick also delivers more of the thrust to the rear where it's needed, instead of more up and down like a flutter kick or split fin. But, you need a stiff fin to get the maximum benefit.

Think of it this way... which fin would you rather row a canoe with? A floppy spilt fin, or a stiff paddle fin that's more like a wooden canoe paddle?

... There's little or no coast or glide after a flutter kick.
It depends on who is doing the flutter kick, not the fin.
Propulsion is 95% diver, 5% fin style.

Don't mind the .gifs or the non-responses. They are just ways of saying this question has been raised more times than most of us can count. There are opinions for and against every form of fin with, for the most part, no real answers. And, if there are such real answers (as some would argue), they are not believed by many. So (and this is just IMHO) it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you, what you elect to believe and what fits your wallet size. Others may argue that my oh so forceful opinion is wrong.

Best answer so far.

While I agree with the observation that the topic has been beaten to death many times over I would like to make everyone aware of a problem with this statement "...it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you".

It feels good to bolt to the surface when the slightest problem occurs - until this kills you.
It feels good to swim in 45 degree trim - until it drags you down (pun intended) when you stop kicking.
It feels good to bicycle kick a split fin - until you really need to move forward.
It feels good to do the last two items at the same time - until you need to return the same (now silted-out) way you came from.

For land-based mammals a lot of the "right" things feel "wrong" at first underwater. The key is to get beyond this stage and not succumb to "feel good" and "instant gratification" urges.

While I agree with the observation that the topic has been beaten to death many times over I would like to make everyone aware of a problem with this statement "...it all comes down to what looks and feels nicer to you".

It feels good to bolt to the surface when the slightest problem occurs - until this kills you.
It feels good to swim in 45 degree trim - until it drags you down (pun intended) when you stop kicking.
It feels good to bicycle kick a split fin - until you really need to move forward.
It feels good to do the last two items at the same time - until you need to return the same (now silted-out) way you came from.

For land-based mammals a lot of the "right" things feel "wrong" at first underwater. The key is to get beyond this stage and not succumb to "feel good" and "instant gratification" urges.

Oh come on! Are you saying that split fin users are un skilled and behave as you posted. Bull ****. I dive splits. I don't silt, I don't bolt, I am horizontal..whatever. I say bull ****..again. If you are gonna contribute here, watch the width of your brush.

Interestingly, I just spent a week on the boat with one of the WKPP gas divers, who is also a GUE cave instructor. He told me he rarely uses the frog kick any more . . .

I don't know what brand of fins Steve is using in the video, but I can tell you that, with a properly performed flutter kick, Jets flex almost that much.

Back
Top Bottom