Split fins or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Apollo Bio Fins. I also used to swim competitively in my younger years. I have used a number of styles of fins and have found these split fins work best for me. When swimming against current I have found very strong professional divers who were amazed how fast I could travel.

There have been times that I have forgotten my Apollo Bios and had to use one of the other fins that I always have for backup. I really missed them, so the first chance I got, I bought a used backup set and now carry three extra sets of fins with me.

However, this is like the bp vs the jacket style BCDs - it's simply a matter of one's preference. Also, some styles of fins (and BCDs) may be best for some very specific kinds of diving. For instance, many professional underwater photographers prefer the old style "jet fins" because you can really achieve such stability with them. They are also great for high torque "out of the hole" sprints. Incidentally, "jet fins" are one of my backup fins which I use on occasion.

Hi.. this has probably been discussed to death but since I'm relatively new to SB I'll ask anyway.

What are the pros and cons of using split fins versus non-split fins? Assuming there are pros and cons.

Splits are better for bad joints (ankles/knees) and worse for finely controlled kicks. They're also more expensive, but given what SCUBA costs, an extra $100 doesn't really amount to much.

Rigid fins like Jets give you great control, and are cheaper, but require that you have a full collection of properly working joints.

Terry

It is mostly personal preference. There are a lot of fins to choose from.

I've only used "old-school" paddle-style fins for diving (USD Rocket Fins in the 70's, Scubapro Jet Fins with spring straps these days). So I cannot comment on splits.

The best advice is to try as many fins as possible.

Whatever fin you use, do make sure you are kicking "correctly" (from the hips, not the knees) when doing a standard flutter kick. "Easy" kicking fins may be deceptive... you do need a fin that is stiff enough to effectively transfer as much of your muscle-power as possible to the water. When you are new to diving a stiffer fin may feel uncomfortable and quickly fatigue muscles you don't normally use; but that may not mean the fin is "wrong" for you, just that you need to build up strength to use it.... just a thought.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

Best wishes.

There have been times that I have forgotten my Apollo Bios and had to use one of the other fins that I always have for backup. I really missed them, so the first chance I got, I bought a used backup set and now carry three extra sets of fins with me.

So you take 4 sets of fins with you when you go diving? :shocked2:You must REALLY like those fins.

But if you forget to take your primary set of fins, what is to stop you from forgetting your backups? I presume you pack them at the same time.

Split fins feel a little like riding a bike in high gear. It's not hard on your legs or lungs but you don't get anywhere fast. It depends on the circumstances. On hills it's a good thing to have, going downhill it would be irritating and useless, and on level terrain it would be workable but not the best gear for the job.

If you have any knee/ankle joint problems at all they (splits) would be a good choice. If you have long surface swims but the current is mild they may be a good choice as well.

Paddle fins have more control and more power at least in the short term before your legs give out.

I currently use paddle fins. Most people in my area that I know who use them do so mainly for the control. It's easy to stop or turn in current while looking at something on a wall dive. Split fins don't work as well in this regard. If I had a very long surface swim with little current splits would be a better choice for me.

If stronger current comes up splits can even be OK for a while as they are less tiring on your legs but if you are actually battling the current for whatever reason then they just aren't up to the job...the current will eventually win.

I have Jet Fins and Twin Jets. I mainly use the standard Jets however. So, it's a personal preference and it's also partially dictated by the kind of diving you do or the kind of diving in general available in your area.

It would be best if you could try out a few different types and compare them for yourself. The weight is a factor sometimes as well. Standard Jet fins are heavy. With a SS BP that's good. Otherwise, it may be a problem...but maybe not!

I love it when someone with less than 50 dives tell how great split fins are! They are junk and a gimmick I have a pair, and I do not use them. Do a test light a candle and stand back 20' waving the fin, use a split fin,then try a OMS,Turtle, Jet fin. Now see what one puts out the light or make it flicker.

I love it when someone with less than 50 dives tell how great split fins are! They are junk and a gimmick I have a pair, and I do not use them. Do a test light a candle and stand back 20' waving the fin, use a split fin,then try a OMS,Turtle, Jet fin. Now see what one puts out the light or make it flicker.

You're taking about gimmicks and think that testing a fin in air with a candle is valid?

Terry

Rigid fins like Jets give you great control, and are cheaper, but require that you have a full collection of properly working joints.

I must mildly disagree with this, since I'm not sure I have a single properly working joint ANYWHERE :) But I will agree that splits have less resistance. (Which has always made me worry that they aren't moving much water -- I don't think the "air test" described is entirely invalid. If the fin isn't pushing against the water, it isn't generating force. That's just simple physics.)

BigHarryDiver . . .

Yes, you have opened one of THOSE can of worms.

But not to worry . . . . :no:, happens all the time.

That argument will go on until the end of time, or until such time some manufacturer brings out the "Triple-Split". :rofl3:

Get yourself a set of inexpensive splits and inexpensive paddles and decide for yourself.

Sell the ones you don't like.

(PS: I have a pair of Jets and a pair of Twin-Jets)

the K

I must mildly disagree with this, since I'm not sure I have a single properly working joint ANYWHERE :) But I will agree that splits have less resistance. (Which has always made me worry that they aren't moving much water -- I don't think the "air test" described is entirely invalid. If the fin isn't pushing against the water, it isn't generating force. That's just simple physics.)

Splits (at least the SCUBAPro Twin Jets) require moving against the the mass of the water in order to flex the blade into the proper position, which creates the surface angle that actually propels you forward.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom