Split fins or Conventional?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't split fins get entangled in the line when cavern or cave diving?

Wendy once bubbled...

See that's what I'm concerned about Wendy. I mean I went the distance to get the Spring strap to replace the "Snaggle" strap that the Blades com with. I can see me making a pivot in a tight spot & gettin the line wrapped between my "Toes" so to speak.

At first I thought split fins were about as logical as using a fork to eat soup.....

Then I tried them. The shop I dive out of has several types... the best looking and best working were the Atomic Splitfins...

I highly recommed them.:D

Wendy once bubbled...
I've yet to see anyone actually take splits into a cave. I know I wouldn't want to be with 'em when they did. I have yet to see anyone with splits, regardless of their experience, be able to consistently observe good anti-silting technique and keep up any kind of speed. I have yet to see anyone back up with splits (without using their hands). I've yet to see anyone successfully perform all the little flips and sculls needed for fine control using splits.
I have seen splits capture lines (fishing lines, dive flag lines) on several occasions.
In my opinion the benefits of splits don't outweigh the costs.
Rick

Silting, capturing lines with split fins are "rooky disease" and have nothing to do with the fins, but with the diver...

They are designed for open water use and speed without fatigue.

Using them for cave, cavern or wreck penetration is not their primary use.

I have been diving since 1966 and think they are great for the diving I do, teaching and spearfishing.

I prefer the Atomic Spiltfins over several others I have tried. They increase my bottom time and decreased leg cramps in cold water. I can out run most divers using any other fins and can keep a constant speed of 2 to 2.5 miles per hour longer than anyone I have dove with in the past year (except those with split fins).

Their big draw back is that diving is my only exercise (I dive an average of three times a week) and I don't seem to be burning the calories I used too!

They are well worth the money.:D

Erich where in Sask.are you I used to live in Nipawan for a time. Northern Sask girls are almost as friendly and Newfie ones :) Personally while I am a new diver I got a pair of IST Taleria splitfins and I love them. they are very cheap compativiely good quality and in Rodales and others testing come out way ahead of the others and for 150 cdn or so thats maybe a buck fifty US :) ( actually just under 100 US) a hell of a deal. very little resistance and plenty of speed for the effort. Here is a good article from rodales on the issue

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=314

for a comparison on just speed check out the IST Taleria fins results here

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/fins0902/finstable.htm

I really like the Scubapro Jet Split Fins.

I've used the split fins and convensional fins and find the split fins easier to kick and they require less effort. A good thing for me.

They are wide puppies though.

Yes I was one of those that spent a bundle on a pair of Scuba Pro split fins. Will they ever be used again...um, let me think....never.

My first (and only) dive on them was on a wreck in the great lakes where the bottom current turned out to be strong. I had to kick like a bat out of (well...you know) and while hiding inside the wreck they were terrible for doing the frog kick. I'll stick with my Mares Quattros. We live and we learn, but what a waist of money!

I bought a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jets a while back. They are ok if all you do is a flutter kick. I can't do a frog kick with them so, they are not very useful to me. I like plain old Jet Fins more.

Question: What is the best way to frog kick with propeller fins?

Answer: To use the standard frog kick, stretch your legs apart in a sideways manner during a rest stroke (or outward stroke) and then push water with the bottom of the fins while bringing your fins back to center. A sculling version of a frog kick can include orienting the fins approximately parallel or at a slight angle to the bottom on the outward stroke and then orienting the bottom surface of the blades toward each other on the power stroke portion of the frog kick. Speedometers show that propeller fins produce excellent propulsion speeds with these strokes even though there is little or no leg resistance. The stiffer versions will give more of a “bite” or “feel” while the more flexible versions will offer increased relaxation.

You can also enjoy a two-stroke frog kick since the twisting blades of propeller fins are designed to provide propulsion on both the power stroke and the return stroke. This can be done during the return stroke by pushing water with the top of the blade in an outward sideways manner while letting your ankles flex and pointing your toes behind you. During this outward stroke motion, the water is funneled backward through the split to propel you. You can also quickly snap the fin when you reverse the stroke direction from the outward stroke to the power stroke and you will rocket ahead. Short rapid back-and-forth strokes will produce high speeds with minimal effort. Try both stiffer and more flexible propeller fins to see which feels best to you.

In addition to using frog kicks to reduce silt-up in cave and wreck environments, you can also use the modified flutter anti-silting kick. Use rapid small kicks from the ankle and lower legs while bending the knees upward to keep the fins away from the bottom. Propeller fins provide efficient propulsion with small range flutter kicks.

In environments prone to silt-up, a skillful toe or ankle flutter kick that use no leg movement at all with propeller fins can allow you to sustain cruising speeds exceeding 1 mph while minimizing turbulence and silt-up. Frog kicks with paddle fins use a lot more energy to sustain the same speeds. While the large leg movements of frog kicks can create turbulence and vortex shedding that can spread out to the bottom, surrounding walls and ceilings of enclosed environments such as caves and wrecks, the minimal movements of an ankle or toe kick with propeller fins can minimize turbulence in the water for maximum reduction in silt-up with significant increases in propulsion efficiency and energy conservation. In addition, the small motions of a reduced flutter kick or toe kick offers improved fine tuned maneuvering through restricted passageways in caves and wrecks while minimizing leg movements, turbulence and silt-up.

From: http://www.scubadiving.com/members/...views.php?s=314

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom