Split fins or Conventional?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVER magazine over here has just asked the same question (more about power than silt though). If you can't get DIVER the results will be published on divernet soon.

I use conventional fins which are fine, although I don't dive caves but rather silty ponds and the like.

thethumper once bubbled...
I still use my Blades & Gorilla fins.

I couldn't see paying the price for split fins so I split my USD Blades. Same basic performance with a lot less work. No more tired legs. I was concerned about their durability but after almost 3 years they are holding up fine.

thethumper once bubbled...
You actually split your Blades???:eek: They haven't split any further? How far did you actually split them?

David

Here's a copy of instructions - one of these days I'm going to have to get a picture.

I squared off the ends of the fins at the ends of
> the solid ribs. I then
> drew a centerline down the middle of each.
> Obviously, you can't do
> non-symetrical fins like the TUSA Cetus. I then
> measured about 2/3 down
> that like toward the foot pocket and drilled a 1/4
> inch hole. I then cut a
> 1/4 inch strip from the center and rounded the
> corners using a quarter for
> the radius guide. Actually, I started out
> splitting mine only 1/2 the
> length and then continued from there. Even with the
> shorter split, it was a
> world of improvement in reduced workload.
>
> I drilled the hole so I would not have any corners
> which might start a tear.
> We have been using ours for well over a year and
> they show no sign of
> tearing. I thought of splitting mine the the 3/4
> point but the inherent
> stiffness of the old blades and the somwhat shorter
> split seem to allow me
> to do the alternate kick that some split fins are
> supposed to have trouble
> with.
>

Hi,

I've had a few type of fins over time from the traditional Scuba Pro Jet Fin to the Gorilla and ..... finally at the split fins.

I like the split fins because they actually do appear more efficient as the reviews state. I actually even use a little less air. They also don't stir up the bottom until you get very close due to the way they channel the water backward more than downward. This could come in handy in cave diving where silt can be an issue. The draw back is that they don't provide as much initial push on the first few kicks which can be a small hinderance in certain curcumstances. Some people have also said they have a hard time doing an effective frog kick with them. The other downside is price as they are a little more.

I've tried two types of split fins. Scuba Pro and apollo. I liked the apollo more because of a very stury finger hole in the back of the fin strap that makes it very easy to get on and off even with big dry suit boots. The initial Scuba pros didn't have the finger holes and the newer ones that do don't seem as strong as those on the apollo.

cklud once bubbled...
Hi,

I've had a few type of fins over time from the traditional Scuba Pro Jet Fin to the Gorilla and ..... finally at the split fins.

I like the split fins because they actually do appear more efficient as the reviews state. I actually even use a little less air. They also don't stir up the bottom until you get very close due to the way they channel the water backward more than downward. This could come in handy in cave diving where silt can be an issue. The draw back is that they don't provide as much initial push on the first few kicks which can be a small hinderance in certain curcumstances. Some people have also said they have a hard time doing an effective frog kick with them. T

Our LDS sold two pairs of the grey ScuPro split fins to myself and my just certified 13 year-old daughter. We met with a great deal of skepticism from the local dive club, several of whose members tried but didn't like the fins, and found that there just didn't seem to be much resistance or apparent propulsion.

I felt rather disappointed. The LDS owner finally loaned me a pair of Mares Volos to compare to the split fins. I switched back and forth for about an hour.

The results where *interesting. There may* have been slightly more propulsion, and definitely seemed to be a little more control with the Volos, but frankly, there was so much less effort involved in using the twin jets that the more conventional fins felt like a pair of boards. This is despite the fact that I've always had a fairly strong kick (I cycle to work and swim about 3/4 of a mile every couple of days). So, in the end, decided to keep the split fins.

Probably, the stiffer Black version, or even the new "twin speed" version would be a better choice. But in 52 degree north Saskatchewan, one doesn't always have a wide range of choices.

And yes, the straps are indeed a pain in the arse...though Ariel has taught me to lossen them, put them under the footplate, and then pull them up my heels and pull them tight (a much easier trick, in full gear and thick wetsuit and gloves for a 13 years old than for my 54 year old self.

erichk

for the insight. I dive w/my Blades now & yeah it does take a bit of umpph to move, but I can out swim most in the 1st few strides w/any other fin. Granted I can only do it in bursts because of the stiffness & resistance.

I wish I could find a fin that moved like the Blade w/the ease of a split. Guess you can't have your cake & eat it too... ;-0

thethuper wrote:

I dive w/my Blades now & yeah it does take a bit of umpph to move, but I can out swim most in the 1st few strides w/any other fin. Granted I can only do it in bursts because of the stiffness & resistance.
I wish I could find a fin that moved like the Blade w/the ease of a split. Guess you can't have your cake & eat it too... ;-0 [/B][/QUOTE]

I feel much the same (on the opposite side of the debate) about the Twin Jets. They seem to be great fro sustained, moderate speed swimming, but while I appreciate the lack of cramping, I sure wish that they had a bit more stiffness for starts, spurts and sudden changes in direction.

Why not try a few of the newer models? You're in Florida, and I rather envy the relative ease with which you should be able to try out some of the newer models, like Scubapro's twin-speed, which seems to be a response to the lack of stiffness in the Twinjets.

Our LDS up here in 52 degree north Sakatoon has been pretty good about letting me try alternative fins, masks, etc. Maybe there's a similarly decent LDS in your area.

erichK

thethumper,
I think you will find that you won't get the precision control with split fins that cave diving requires. I have never seen a good frog or modified frog by someone wearing splits. I have spent a fair amount of time with them trying to figure out how to teach verious finning techniques to students wearing them. I have reached the conclusion that split finners must flutter. I don't think they belong in a cave and most cave instructors that I have come accross, forbid their use. A streamlined diver with a good frog/modified frog will move at a respectable clip while hardly using more than a little ankle movement. I have seen divers with cramping problems over and over and learning a modified frog has done more for them than split fins. I hear alot of talk about them but all I see in the water is the trail of destruction caused by the split fin wearing flutter kicker.

Back
Top Bottom