Split Fins, best bang for the buck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, I spent the money on the Apollo Bio-Fins with the metal spring straps and love them. The step son (26) has a bum knee and wants to dump his current fins for some split fins to ease the pressure on his knees.

Looking for opinions (yes I know they are opinions) on the best bang for the buck as far as split fins are concerned. Least cost with the most quality.

Thanks in advance.

I have both the Apollos, and Atomics. Love them both. The Atomics seem to give me just a bit more thrust, probably due to the length, however, the Apollos "disappear" on my feet once swimming... Absolutely no effort, as you know. I have springs on both (and wouldn't do it any other way).

The Apollos are solid rubber, I believe the Atomics are composite. Not entirely sure, but a quick trip to the site(s) would confirm. The Apollos are a bit cheaper as well (although both are in a price category many divers, including a few on here, believe is exorbitant).

Can't comment on any other split brands, however, either of the above or worth the money IMHO... for recreational diving.

Despite being convinced this is a ploy to out SF wearers, I have the Atomics and the Oceanic V12s. The Atomic SFs are the better fin for me, but the Oceanic are actually not as stiff. Springs are the only way to go...

I've got and love the Oceanic V6's. They are full foot, but very comfortable with bare feet unlike other full foot fins I tried. Great propulsion too. About $60 from Leisurepro.

The Mares Raptors are a good fin. That's Wat I have and they're less than$ 100!

Funny side story. I dove this weekend and had a hard time removing my fins. After struggling, they came off without incident. Today I just took a look at them and realized that I left the inserts in them. Can't believe my feel fit in there with the RockBoots! What an idiot I can be!

you're already diving the BEST fins out there...the Apollos with SS straps! I've got 4 pairs so you can tell I like 'em! Fins are critical to scuba happiness and you can't put a price on happiness, can ya?

I also have a bad knee - cartilage damage - and I have no problem with the Tusa's.

Scubatoys has the older model (ones I have) for $99. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZoomFins

They're also selling the Tilos, Manta or Tilos spring straps w/quick release buckles for $25 currently.

my opinion re a bum knee, depending on the type of injury - Force Fins. Second choice, Atomic splits.

Back
Top Bottom