Split Fin vs Straight Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, hence the smiley face next to the dead horse, and I don't think anyone else did either. If the OP or anyone else took it that way, I absolutely apologize.

To the OP, welcome to SB. Lots of great info here, most of it worth more than you paid for. :D

As those of us who have been around awhile know, splits vs blades is an oft debated topic and even though a lot of people dig in their heels :argue: imho the reality is there's just no right or wrong answer. If splits were clearly superior in every way, then blades would cease to exist and vice-versa.

I used to have a pair of each, but my son took my blades when he got certified, along with one of my regs and computers. Sooner or later I'll pick up another pair of blades, I'm sure. If you stick with this sport long enough you'll almost certainly have all sorts of different gear in your bag, too. It's just the nature of things.

In my limited experience, my splits are more comfortable than my ex-blades but that may be more a function of the spring straps, of which I am truly enamored. I think they are also easier on my knees. Other than that, I didn't notice much difference, frankly, but then I tend to go slow and have made hovering into an art form so it probably doesn't really matter which kind I use.

The reality is that you're just going to have to try different things to see what works best for you. And your opinion will be just as valid as ours.

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

I have a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros (I know, classic beginning diver fins) that usually are hurting my ankle by the end of the dive. I used some US Divers split fins on vacation that didn't have this problem at all. For what it's worth, I definitely kick wrong and have awful buoyancy. YMMV.

Here are a few videos I shot, which will prove absolutely nothing.

Dave,

I thought your last video was very instructive. It showed that (A) a diver can "swim up" 29 lbs, and (B) he can do it with either blades or splits and (C) he will be using much faster kick cycles with splits (I counted 6 cycles in 4 seconds) than with blades (I counted 6 cycles in 7 seconds).

The latter indicates to me that the blades produce more power per kick, but also offer more resistance to the diver. In the end, then, the limiting factor is the strength of the diver more than the design of the fin.

try banannas or a good potassium supplement, coupled with a modest exercise program.....works for me.

+1

split fins suck end of story!

...paddles blow!

Now, that's the sort of insightful commentary that we've come to expect while discussing this topic on SB :D How could anyone possibly argue with the logic of either position:idk:

Guy (tongue inserted firmly in cheek)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom