Split fin technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried a friend's split fins recently and didn't find them any better than my Quattro Pros. It seemed that the split fins worked best with short kicks, and the QP's with long kicks, and that the best technique for each resulted in similar performance. I prefer the QP's because I am now used to the longer kick technique, and short kicks just don't feel right.

Does that seem like a fair assessment? Is the proper split fin technique to use shorter kicks?

I agree with your assessment that splits require a different kick technique.

It took me about ten dives to get the hang of it with my twinjets, but once I learned to kick, I found I was much more effecient in warm water. Mainly, I learned to kick slowly with longer leg extentions - works very well, except against a current where a quicker, shorter kick is necessary.

I have not, however, tried them with a drysuit. I'm hanging onto my paddle fins for lake diving until I figure this one out.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I feel the proper split fin technique is to click the "confirm this listing" button on E-Bay. But that's just me. :)

....my feelings exactly. I use them for pool work only.....

I have a pair of tusa zooms gathering dust. No good at all in current. In the ocean...it is my Mares Avantis...

With the tusas....you must use a very short flutter stroke...and never...never get out of your slip stream.
True of most splits that i have seen.

Yes, a shorter flutter kick tends to work well. A wider kick will work too when taking off, but keep it smooth and steady.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom