Fins considered to be suitable for use with drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me preface this by saying that I do have have anywhere close to the experience of some here.

But I think the answer is… it depends.

If the calves are more muscular, they’re probably not going to be as floaty, which gives you more potential options. Otherwise you need to think about where you’re diving (conditions). Someplace with stronger currents, I’d look at Mares Quattros because they’re better for me in those conditions than my Scubapro Jets. If currents aren’t an issue, or I know I’m dealing with a really silty bottom (or a tight channel), I’d use the Jets instead. The Jets are heavier for sure, but they’re also better when diving dry for certain other situations as well.

But I’d definitely lean towards something that was at least slightly negative in the water. Even with the meat on my calves, they can be floaty.

I’ve seen a few guys where I am use the Atomic split fin with their drysuit and I just salute them for it, because they’re one of the floatiest fins I’ve ever tried. Great for me in a current, but floaty as hell, even with the stainless steel strap.

Sorry I can’t give you an “X is better” answer here, but if all the fins I own (and I own a few), the Jets or Quattros seem to work best for me.

Fin choice is very personal. Lots of people love Mares Quattros. My old dive club used to have them. Every time I used them, I got calf cramps. My legs need something to push against, so I prefer stiffer fins. Great fins judging by their following, just not for me.

Mares Quattro+

They come in vibrant colors and are a great overall fin. I use a Large/Reg size for wet and an XL for dry diving. A proper fitting drysuit will alleviate floaty feet for the most part and quattros are mostly neutral to slightly negative.
I’ve emailed mares twice now asking them to make a 2XL. I can’t get the XL onto my dry suit boot. The Quattros are imo the best fin ever made. But I’ve now got the power plana which is their new ish heavy short ‘tech’ fin. They’re ok, prob on a par w the holis F1, but it’s not a Quattro.

Rebreather, BM, CCR, weight of insulation will all play a roll. Backmount? Probably Jet fins or similar. SM or CCR w inverted valves (valve down)? Probably something closer to Deep6 Eddy
Many thanks for all of the replies everyone - lots of good information! I will have to do some thinking!

Mine is a valves down CCR. If I can avoid ankle weights I would like to - one less thing to forget

I will be needing some fins for coldwater/drysuit use shortly - will be looking for fins that are bright coloured - yellow or orange etc - any recommendations? Edit to add that I'm old school and only flutter kick so I don't need fins that are designed for fancy kicking techniques.bedfore you
before you buy I suggest you try and borrow from someone to see what you need

Nothing wrong with ankle weights. You often need a lot of lead diving dry, and ankle weights are a good way to get 3-4 pounds of your back.

Mine is a valves down CCR. If I can avoid ankle weights I would like to - one less thing to forget

I did say avoid,
I did use ankle weight and turtle fins when I first used a dry suit, feet felt very floaty....
But after a bit got rid of them,

Funny thing is
Now I can go from a shorty to a drysuit, And not worry about trim. (Same fins and rig)
What happened?
A good diver can compensate with out even thinking about it.
When I first started out your very aware. And every thing needs to be just so to be trim, then after a while it doesn't matter so much,

An then there are people that are total natural right off the bat,

-another thing to carry,
-they tend to flop around on the ankles,
- less streamline,
-etc

before you buy I suggest you try and borrow from someone to see what you need
That is the best suggestion here.

Fins are personal and must satisfy several needs:
- Comfort.
- Buoyancy (which, as somebody suggested, also depends on your configuration since fins' buoyancy may affect trim).
- Propulsion technique (do you mostly do powerful scissor kicks? Or do you like precision kicks, back kicks, and helicopter turns?).
- Although not crucial, depending on how common is the model you chose, you may want unusual colors to avoid accidentally exchanging your fins with someone else's ones (it depends a lot on when and where you dive).

Get suggestions from people who do the same type of diving you do, try several options, and then decide.

Zeagle Recon, available in orange, very nice fins that won’t fight the flutter kick, they were my go to until I bought the super novas which only come in black or white, so far.
DSCI1795.jpeg

Zeagle Recon, available in orange, very nice fins that won’t fight the flutter kick, they were my go to until I bought the super novas which only come in black or white, so far.View attachment 788397
Cheers - they might work well! Any thoughts on how negative/heavy they are?

Back
Top Bottom