split fin recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got a pair of IST split fins and dove with them a couple of times. The are just as good as Tusa or Atomic and cost a lot less. I'm glad I didn't pay $180 for fins.

My recommendation:

Don't get split fins...

IMO, they are the worst fins ever made, get yourself some Mares Avanti Quattro's or Volo's. you will be able to kick out of a current with them, not the splits...

Or, if you are looking to do some technical diving, get the original jet fin...

i use the atomic split fins and really like them. i'll echo that they are not so good for the surface swim.might just need to change my surface swim technique.:)

I work at a dive shop, and have been able to try almost every fin on the market. I like the Scubapro, and the Tusa splits, and the Plana Quattros or the Cressi frogs.

Which I think proves that you should try several, and buy the one you like, and not the flavor of the month. No matter what the salesman, (i.e., ME!), tries to sell you!

(I've had 3 pairs of Volos returned for cracking on giant stride entries. Something to think about.)

I guess I'll raise it to a nickle, I started with jet fins and when I was able to, I got a pair of Power Plana's. Now theres a fin that you had to want to kick. Later I got a pair of Plana Avanti's and with the dual channels I thought it couldnt get any better. Later I had the opportunity to pick up a pair of Quatro's and to be honest I found them to be a bit soft so after all this fooling around I have 2 pairs of Avanti's that are almost unrecognizeable due to everything that has slid across them and will kick them until I cant anymore.
Dive safe and often

I just bought a pair of tusa xpert zooms to replace my old cressi frogs then went diving for four days. I just can't get any propulsion from these things. My buddies were out pacing me all the way and with the slightest current, i'm like stuck. I've read a lot about the mares quattros and decided to get a pair. hope they work out. I'm selling my tusa xperts.

Well Itchyfins, you will love the quatros, but if you have much leg you might want to try the Plana avantis. In any case the Quatros are an easy to kick fin with lots of results in any water.

Hey Dyno Bill, you're right about the quattros. I just tried them out...Great propulsion, not much effort to get it. I love em.

I was shopping for split fins last year and did a lot of research. It seems like just about everybody had conflicting opinions about brands and build quality. And many had negative things to say about split fins in general.

Then somebody turned me on to the Aeris Velocity fin. It's not a split fin, but it's not a true blade fin either. It's actually a little of both - think of a blade fin split down the middle with a rubber webbing with holes in it. Looks odd. But it works like magic.

These fins are the best purchase I have made to date. The work effort required to use them is minimal -- I could hardly tell they were on my feet. But for some reason they pushed like mad. Physics dictates that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Well, in this case it felt like the laws of physics were on my side (got more reaction than action).

I used the Aeris fins in Cozumel, where the currents are VERY strong, and these fins worked absolutely flawlessly. Frog kick, scissor kick -- they work well with different kick styles.

After using these fins for 6-8 dives, I went back to my old Mares Plana Avanti's. And it was like night and day. With the Mares, it felt like I had 2 boards strapped to my feet. And the propulsion was not nearly as strong (even with much more effort into the kick).

And the best part -- you can buy 4 pairs of Aeris Velocity fins for the price of the Apollo or Atomic split fins.

I highly recommend these fins!

Thx...Doug

I am lucky enough to work in a dive shop and have aquired many diferent fins including, Bios V12, Twin Jet, atomic split, Jet, and quatros You will not tell the difference between the v12 apollos or twin jets, but as with any split the flutter kick is the only effecient one. I think the reason people tike the ribbed fins is they feel like you are getting beter performance even though you are not. ( The rigid blade gives more resistance, and more resistance means more power???????). If you want to use an alternative kick go with a paddle fin like jet or quatro.
PS my shop carries all fins mentioned except jrt so I am not giving a shop bias

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom