split fin recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So would split fins be recommended for someone like myself who is fairly new to diving, looking to do some higher certifications later on?

If you're not diving in caves, I swear by the Atomic spit fin. They have firm battens and are good for a variety of kicks, especially a traditional kick or dolphin swim. People say they don't frog kick well but it's just a matter of learning a technique to use the design.

I use traditional fins for rough shore dives and wrecks, the latter because Atomics are long. That makes it harder to keep the silt down.

Also, I found that split fins make lousy snow shovels. :D

I love to swim with them but on the boat the extra length basically renders me helpless. On large boats they want you to come onboard w/ your fins on. I like small boats. I throw my gear overboard and then join it....reverse proceedure at end of dive. I may aquire some of the shorter jets for the cattleboat "experience". However, I love leaving everybody behind when motoring along w/ my Atomics! I am normally a "big" kicker and had to adjust my style to keep fins within my slipstream, which, was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I find the fins very maneuverable but will bump in close quarters.

I just recently switched to split fins. I have a pair of the scubapro twin jets. They are an extremely fast pair of fins, even on the surface. I also tried the IDI power fins and found that they didn't quite work with my rock boots. I have found that I don't kick up much silt and I need minimal ankle flicks to move forward underwater. Overall a great fin, but still not sure if worth the money.

-Steve :wacko:

Haven't tried them out with the kicks yet.

The Atomics are great. They are stiffer than the bio's and feel more like a traditional fin but perform way better!

They are long, but that hasn't been a problem for me.

The fit is the absolute best I have experienced and the buckles are designed well too.

Has anyone tried the Tusa Zooms?

I was sold these fins when I was getting my cert, and I'm not sure I'm happy with them but have no comparison.

I saw 2 Atomic fins self-destruct on 1 trip. The battens seperated from the rubber at the tip. This is one reason I like my Twin-Jets.

i have scubapro twin jets too and while they are indeed fast, they are NOT effortless. they are no easier to kick than my tusa liberators and when I'm really working them i get cramping pains just like paddles. they are about the same for stopping and turning though and pretty comfortable. in cozumel last week i used them both snorkeling and diving - good fins, just not much different from paddles.

ReefGuy,

I have a pair of Tusa X-Pert Zooms and have been using them for a while. It took a little getting used to them and the first couple of times getting back in the boat after a dive was a little bit tricky, but overall I have enjoyed them. I'm not sure exactly what type problem, if any you've been having though. Also, I'm not sure how long you've been certified and how many dives you've made. You can send me a pm if you like and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

These weren't my first pair of fins. I started out with Force Fins (Tan Delta's). Currently I have 2 different types that I use, depending on type of diving I'm doing (and my mood, LOL). My primary pair are Force Fins (Adjustable) and I also get a lot of use from the Tusa Zooms.

The finning techniques and muscles used with each one is different so I don't think it's really fair to compare the two.

Hope this was of some help. If not, let me know.

Dive Safe..........and Enjoy the Experience!!!!

Went to Cozumel in Feb-2003,and I will tell you that for myself,the next time I go to Coz,I will be using traditional solid blade fins[Aeris Velocity probably].I own the Scuba pro twin jet splits fins,but they were absolutely useless in the current,and being that I like to take photos of the little fishies,it was especially
frustrating--won't do that again.It's not that I don't like my splits,I do,but in certain dive situations you need a stiffer fin.Hope this was a little help---dive safe& and enjoy!!!!

ASTA---

SCUBA STEVE:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom