Spin Off of the Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday, having dropped from weekly dives or more, to once or twice monthly over the last couple of months
My dive fitness has suffered, and having done a negative entry and overheated from bobbing around on the hot
boat, as I was heading by myself down to twenty metres to stabilise I felt panicked (really wanted to head back up
to the surface) reg wasn't delivering with knob fully out and arrived at neutral in the middle of a clump of a million yellow fish, and talked to them a bit, then stabilised myself for what seemed like five minutes, but it was really only
3 then dropped over the side of the man prepared warship down to about twenty five metres and began exploring

the ship and myself

Similar thermal duress happened a month ago jumping in shorts and shirt in winter

What is this thread about, being as it is forbidden to discuss the incident that led to this thread, what purpose then is it? This seems to be another admonishment of solo diving as a result of a buddy system failure which therefore is not a solo diving accident but instead a buddy diving accident. Whether by decision or accident a buddy team that splits up and then subsequently (a bad thing) happening a death or injury is not a solo diving incident but a buddy diving incident, buddy dive gone wrong. Was either diver in any of these split up buddy dives solo certified? Was either diver equipped for solo diving with redundant air, mask, compass, computers and other equipment indicated for solo diving? And more than that, when a solo diver plans a solo dive, mentally, if there is not, there should be a more cautious approach to the dive and possible limitations and considerations of preparedness and fitness for the dive conditions than if undertaken as a team or buddy system dive? The point being was the dive undertaken in the mindset of a solo dive? These accident threads are all so sad and also hollow in that there is nothing to be gained if they cannot be discussed. And of course they cannot be discussed in an open forum because of all the emotional baggage they bring which is certainly understandable when we lose a human life. But none of this applies to me as a certified solo diver. N

Some dives are a mix of buddy and solo, in that the dive plan includes starting together and then one diver ending the dive while the other continues, or they each go their own ways at a predetermined point and finish the dive solo.

In the case of a diver being lost during a solo dive, without referencing the original incident, it can suffice to say that if the cause of the fatality is being blown out to sea by unexpected and overwhelming current, then the only difference between diving with a buddy vs diving solo is an additional lost diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom