SPGs for failing eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0ne

Reaction score
Over the last three years I have been amazed at how my eyesight is getting worse. It isn't yet bad enough that I need corrective lenses in the mask but I do notice that in a few situations it is getting harder and harder to read my digital gauges.

We selected the Suunto cobra for its relatively straightforward display and large number display but if I'm in low light or have a little water in my mask it can be difficult to read so I'm contemplating a change and am seeking opinions...

I'm looking at the Halcyon SPG and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or alternate suggestings.

BTW I'm a "halfway" DIR diver at this point but am finding most of the advice posted here to be of a relatively informad nature.

I look forward to some typically spirited discussion :)

Mark

Diver0ne:

Mark
I hope you are not trolling!
How old are you? There are some natural eyesight effects that happen as you get older. Don't bother with denial if this is the case - it won't get any better. If you need to see - you need to see! If you can't see your gauges then you need to do something.

I've bought a couple of these SPGs from a guy who regularly sells on ebay with good success. Large face that is easy to read without unsnaping it from the left d-ring. You can also get the high pressure hoses from him if you need one.

Though the Halcyon is very cleanly marked, it is a bit smaller than some other SPGs. OMS makes a larger SPG...although I personally don't find it particularly easy to read.

The easiest to read is the UWATEC Master Diver - but they are almost impossible to find these days.

I say put some Diveoptx stickies in your mask. http://www.neoptx.com

Is it just me or does anyone else find it curious that these gauges go to 5K?

I understand that bulk tanks and the like could use a 5K gauge but it seems like a waste of space on the dial of an SPG...

Am I missing something?

Most analog gauges are more acurate toward the middle of there range.

and

In some places tanks with service presures in exess of 4000 psi are in use.

Diver0ne:
Is it just me or does anyone else find it curious that these gauges go to 5K?

I understand that bulk tanks and the like could use a 5K gauge but it seems like a waste of space on the dial of an SPG...

Am I missing something?
Well, when NWGratefulDiver and I geared up for our dive yesterday, my SPG read 4300 PSI on the surface. So I was glad my SPG went to 5000 PSI.
icosm14.gif
It did cool off to 4100 PSI in the water, though.

Jimmie

Thanks for all you input.

Diver0ne:
Over the last three years I have been amazed at how my eyesight is getting worse. It isn't yet bad enough that I need corrective lenses in the mask but I do notice that in a few situations it is getting harder and harder to read my digital gauges.

We selected the Suunto cobra for its relatively straightforward display and large number display but if I'm in low light or have a little water in my mask it can be difficult to read so I'm contemplating a change and am seeking opinions...

I'm looking at the Halcyon SPG and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or alternate suggestings.

BTW I'm a "halfway" DIR diver at this point but am finding most of the advice posted here to be of a relatively informad nature.

Mark
you could get a hoseless divecomputer (air integrated)and mount it to your right foot for the time being,peace :11:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom