Nerd 2 and optical lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-Sven-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

to read my CCR's controller display (left arm) I use optical lenses because of my presbyopia. The lenses are fixed to the lower part of the mask glases. That works fine. Now I added a Nerd 2 to the system. The Nerd is sitting down left. Consequently, I'm looking through the optical lens to read the Nerd display. That's unfortunate because the Nerd's display appears 12' away and I can't read the display very well (big numbers barely, small numbers not at all). Without optical lenses I can read the Nerd but not the Petrel 2. Any idea how to modify the Nerd (optics, location) so I can read it with optical lenses?

Thanks - Sven

Hello,

to read my CCR's controller display (left arm) I use optical lenses because of my presbyopia. The lenses are fixed to the lower part of the mask glases. That works fine. Now I added a Nerd 2 to the system. The Nerd is sitting down left. Consequently, I'm looking through the optical lens to read the Nerd display. That's unfortunate because the Nerd's display appears 12' away and I can't read the display very well (big numbers barely, small numbers not at all). Without optical lenses I can read the Nerd but not the Petrel 2. Any idea how to modify the Nerd (optics, location) so I can read it with optical lenses?

Thanks - Sven
Have you tried contacting Shearwater to ask them this question? Shearwater are great at answering these sorts of questions and finding solutions for problems.

You could move the nerd higher, so you aren't looking though the optics, but you'd have to position it more to the side. You could also only have an optical lens in the side that needs to read the controller, and not the nerd.

I just did my first couple dives with a nerd and I am sold! love that thing.

I run the NERD on the opposite side of the wrist controller. If I have an issue with that eye (get some salt water in it and can't get it to focus, that side fogs horribly, etc) I can see a display with the other eye. I don't have to look around the NERD display to see the wrist display. I can also close one eye and block out that display so the other is more clear. Switch eyes, switch displays to read. I tried several iterations, controller on different sides, NERD on different eyes, sometimes the same side, other times different sides. What works best (for me) is right side controller and left eye NERD. This is not going to be the case for everyone. But have you tried different combinations to see what is best for YOU? This might make it easy on what you need to do with your optics.

I can't read my NERD while wearing my cheaters. Which is strange. I have gotten accustomed to putting on the cheaters every time I put something close to my face and want to read it. Just not the NERD.

Try this, the SeawiscopeEY. The “EY” stands for “Ever Young.” It is a set of optical lenses by a Hong Kong optometrist to correct and allow near vision underwater. I’ve been using mine for 11 years now.

SeaRat

PS, I added a link to their webpage above.

Thanks for your suggestions. And I asked Shearwater, they suggested to have the controller and Nerd on different sides and to have only one optical lens on the controller side. That‘s what broncobowsher is doing.

Back
Top Bottom