Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yomafacio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For all of my training and rentals so far, I have used a console with an integrated compass. However, now that I am thinking about buying a set of gear, I am considering getting a basic brass and glass SPG and a separate compass, as opposed to a console with a compass integrated within. Do you recommend an SPG? Are they easier to accidentally break? Also, are there any downsides to using a plain SPG? Thanks.

Not particularly, though using one as a hammer is probably not a good idea. Good idea. Just keep it clipped to your bcd so it doesn't drag or get tangled.

Personally I use a standard SPG and then a compass on my left wrist. But you should use what works for you. Test both methods if you can

I have a plain analog SPG clipped to left chest D ring. Compass clipped to right chest D ring. Separate dive computer on right wrist.

I dislike the big consoles.

Simple SPG clipped to left hip D-ring. It's not something you're going to be looking at continually. Compass on the left wrist back when I carried a separate one, now I use the one on my Perdix, which is on the right.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the big consoles, so basic compass bungeed on my left wrist. Dive computer on my right wrist. My old reliable US Divers SPG clipped on my left hip so no dragging or dangling. I like where everything is at.

And now for the opposing view. I really like everything together. If my regs are attached to my tank I have my computer and compass and spg. Almost impossible to forget to pack them up. My spare computer is a wrist mount around the hose.

Well I think I'll go with a 2" SPG and a compass either on my right arm or on the BCD D ring.

Well I think I'll go with a 2" SPG and a compass either on my right arm or on the BCD D ring.

FWIW, your computer makes more sense on your right arm, since you will be using the left for adding or dumping air and it's handy to be able to see your depth while doing so.

I also like my SPG and not a fan of the bulky consoles. Especially since my BC is a wing/backplate, so there's no where to tuck it for streamlining.

I really want to get in the habit of wearing my computer on my right arm, but I'm just so used to it on the left (maybe it's a guitarist thing, I never wear any jewelry on my right arm, lol). Compass on the left arm with my computer. Though my computer has a built in compass, but I haven't figured out how to calibrate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom