SPG Swivel O-Ring Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I suppose it is possible they do have the parts but would not tell you or sell them to you trying to get you to bring the unit in for repair?

kidspot:
WOW - talk about first class service! - Thanks - now I understand exactly what I'm missing.

Of course I went into the lds here and asked about the spool this evening . . . he looked at me and said "a what?" I said between the hp hose and spg . . .he said "uhhh - we don't have those"

Its called a "Thingie."

Although I understand in Canada it is called, "Hey you hoser, that's a spool, eh?" and in Australia it is called, "Crikey! That's a spool, mate.."

You may also (if you're in The Bronx) say "Yo! I gotcha spool right heah." (while grabbing crotch).

Geeze, how many times we gotta go thru this.

K

kidspot:
WOW - talk about first class service!
- thanks again for going to the trouble of taking your spg apart to get me that photo (or do you just leave it laying in pieces all the time waiting for folks to ask questions like this?)
Well I am, after all, a Servant.

I took apart the SPG and then found out I had to put new batteries in the camera... otherwise the service would have been faster. :wink:

so it's a "thingie" that's the technical term right? in Hawaii it would be "da kine" or if a more specific description is needed "da kine stuff in dat air ting"

Uncle Pug - all great leaders are servants - that's why people are willing to follow them . . . can't quite remember - at any rate you're greatly appreciated :)

Mahalo

I just returned from asking at 4 dive shops (6 total now) this just gets funnier the further along I go - lol
first one said "I think you have to buy a new spg to get that" the second place said "I can't sell those to the public - but will install it for $17" (at least he knew what it was and it's a lot less than $40) and I also got a stern lecture about no warranty from internet items - didn't matter that the manufacturer sold it to me direct. . . third shop didn't know what it was . . . finally I was blessed with a shop that knew what they were and was willing to sell it to me!!! But I didn't have it with me and he had 4 different sizes - so I'll go back tomorrow or next day - maybe just have them install it at their shop prices to end this insanity! LOL Hope everyone gets as much of a laugh from this as I have.

P.S. at the last shop I told them about the guys that didn't know what it was but would fix it for $40 . . . he looks at me and says "was it _______?" yup their reputation abounds I guess . . .

Buy two or three while you're at it... Though I've seen few "regulator" failures in 30 years of diving, the most I've seen is the spool and/or its O rings failing.

Something you might try... Contact Ed Robinson over in Kehei, they have a DM who's doing some technical diving, and might be able to recommend a good shop.

Problem is, I don't remember his name -- I dove with him almost exactly a year ago. He's tall, thin (but muscular) and has long blond hair -- the kind of DM that women listen to intently to when he talks yet they don't remember a thing :)

He also dives a Henderson Gold Core 7mm jump suit -- reason I remember that is that I pulled out my 7mm Gold Core and he started giving me grief about it and the backplate I was diving, and just when I started to get pissed, he pulled out *his* Gold Core and a backplate. :)

Roak

Thanks - I was thinking the same thing actually - I finally decided to just order 3 (or 12 or 15) from Diverite since that's where I get a lot of my gear. Sad part about the lds that doesn't want to sell stuff is that now I will NEVER go back to him when I do purchase locally - I'd love to rant about that one (having worked retail part-time for nearly 20 years) but I'll put that in another forum if I do. . .

Thanks too about the contact in Kihei - I've heard several good things about their dive operation - just no experience (of any kind) yet. . .
Tim

P.S. In case you have read any of my posts in other threads you already know I've just lined up my OW class - I just tend to "dive" completely into any new undertaking (pun intended). Every other hobby of mine I have gotten to know my gear intimately before I use it to give me a working knowledge of it's "innards" - maybe just curiosity, or maybe just the way God built me [chuckle] (and yes, I expected to take some flack at the lds over rigging my own gear and assembling my own kit. But I wanted to learn in my future gear right from the "get go" - ie.. bp/w, etc..) - - - Thanks to everyone for continuing my education - - - I love learnin'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom