Speedo Anti-Fog Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Quick question.

I got a bottle of Speedo Anti-Fog Solution in my stocking this year. Has anyone used it and is it safe for SCUBA masks? The bottle says for "swim / snow googles, sunglasses, and eye glasses". The chemical in it is Exxene AF-091 (75%) and Water (25%).

Thanks.

Forget all that funny stuff. When you get your mask, unless it has colored lenses, scrub the lenses inside and out with toothpaste and a little water. Once that's done, rinse it thoroughly. Get yourself a big bottle of baby shampoo, and use it just like you would, any of the other (atrociously overpriced) defog products on the market. It works just as well, won't irritate your eyes, and your dive buddies will be amazed.

Incidentally, if you shave in the shower, this little trick works to keep your shaving mirror fog-free, too.

I do shave in the shower I'll have to try it. Yeah I got this stuff as a gift from my sister. Didn't ask for it, I've never had fogging problems, but hey it is a gift. I might try it on my swimming googles since those do tend to fog up. Thanks for the advice.

I agree with the baby shampoo suggestion, but since you already have the Speedo stuff, I can vouch that it works really well. Spray some on, then rinse once. Let dry if you have time. I went through a complete bottle of Speedo stuff (almost 50 dives, so not too many $ per dive.) It's perfectly for the mask. I actually liked it a lot, especially compared to a lot of the other, mostly gel, anti-fog products. I even found I could apply it the night before, rinse once, let it sit, then dive. Reapplied every dive. Maybe I wasn't so good at applying the gels/pastes, but I always had fogging problems with them and not with the Speedo stuff. No idea why, just my experience. I do find, now that I know, that the baby shampoo works really well. Plus, makes the mask smell pretty. Sorry, not much science in my post, but at least some actual experience.

Mike

What happened to good old saliva as anti fog?

What happened to good old saliva as anti fog?

This is my vote, is alot cheaper than baby shampoo........wonder if it's DIR approved, bet not........hmmmmmmm............GEAUX TIGERS............

So far I've always used my own salvia for anti-fog use and I've never had a problem. I was just asking about this specific product because it was a gift and I was wondering if I should give it a shot considering the package does not say whether or not it can be used on SCUBA masks and if the chemical might harm the glass in some way. It's good to hear that it has worked in the past for some people without apparent damage. I'll probably stick with the spit, but at least I'll have this in my bag of goodies if I ever need it.

When my daughter was buying her snorkelling gear for her PADI OW she went to the local LDS with my wife who is not a diver. Yeah ok I know it's a big mistake but in my defense I was out of the country at the time. And she came home with all sorts of wonderfull potions for cleaning and defogging her mask. Now if only I could sell saliva and toothpaste for $10 - $20 a bottle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom