Speeding ticket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can take the online driver improvement and get rid of it, still pay the money. Go to court and hope the officer does not show up and get off,.. if he does you cannot do the driver thing.

Anyway want to hear about the speeding ticket I got on the St Johns River?

Wildcard:
Here is a sure fire way to not get a ticket, DRIVE THE FRIKKIN SPEED LIMIT! Most wrecks, traffic jams and other road problems would not happen if y'all just DRIVE THE FRIKKIN SPEED LIMIT! Everyone are in such a hurry to get home and plop there butts down in front of the TV. Yea, TV...Slow down and enjoy the ride, live longer and save gas!
I had a "complaint" yesterday at work, I was driving too slow. 25mph pot hole road, Im not doing 40 to get to work faster when Im on the clock anyway.

Honestly .... If I drove the speed limit on the highways around here I'd CAUSE an accident, not avoid one.

catherine96821:
So...do the officers get annoyed when they see those radar detectors on the dash?

I can't speak for others, but I don't get annoyed. They are perfectly legal in CA anyway.

OTOH don't expect a break from me either when I see one on the dash. As far as I'm concerned that was your early warning device.

My personal opinion is that they are largely a waste of money. My older brother has had a radar detector since the 1970's, and guess who's had the most tickets in my family? Yep, my older bro. I can't tell you how many speeders I've got that had a radar detector on the dashboard. Especially since radar can't detect an officer doing traffic enforcement the old fashioned way, and that's by pacing you :eyebrow:

Speaking of early warning devices, when I was in Tasmania last November, I rented a Mitsubishi 380 (new Galant in the US) that had this neat feature. You can set a buzzer to go off when you exceed a preset speed. The speed is set by a button on the dashboard. It serves as a reminder that you've let your speed creep upward, and is very useful as many parts of Australia, in particular Victoria, have photo radar cameras :eek: I wish this feature was available in the US. However, when I went to the LA Auto Show a month later, I noticed the US version of the car doesn't have it.

You know that training place for CHP right in San Jauan Capistrano? Four motorcycle cops pulled me with drawn guns and approached my car crouched down and then peeked in and saw three car seats with kiddies peeping back. I think they thought I was somebody else....since the did not even ask for my registration.

Tazmania! That is on my list.

Anyway want to hear about the speeding ticket I got on the St Johns River?
of course.

catherine96821:
You know that training place for CHP right in San Jauan Capistrano? Four motorcycle cops pulled me with drawn guns and approached my car crouched down and then peeked in and saw three car seats with kiddies peeping back. I think they thought I was somebody else....since the did not even ask for my registration.

South Orange County is a major training ground for traffic enforcement. Ever since I-5 was widened in the 90's, it's not uncommon during off-peak hours for cars to be going in excess of 100 MPH :11: The toll roads are really bad for speeders.

As far as the approach, most likely your car matched the description of one they were looking for, and the people inside were wanted for some type of violent offense.

You can't do the speed limit in Florida, two lane hwys 60 miles one direction anywhere you go. The sheriff will pass you at 80 while you are doing 55.

Last year th Highway patrol did pull me over for being 20mph over the limit, just told me to slow down, on this couple of miles of road, no ticket

Wildcard:
Here is a sure fire way to not get a ticket, DRIVE THE FRIKKIN SPEED LIMIT! Most wrecks, traffic jams and other road problems would not happen if y'all just DRIVE THE FRIKKIN SPEED LIMIT! Everyone are in such a hurry to get home and plop there butts down in front of the TV. Yea, TV...Slow down and enjoy the ride, live longer and save gas!
I had a "complaint" yesterday at work, I was driving too slow. 25mph pot hole road, Im not doing 40 to get to work faster when Im on the clock anyway.

I don't have any data to back up my opinion, so take it with a whole truckload of salt, but I don't think that there is necessarily any correlation between moderate speeding and increased wrecks, traffic jams, etc.

Driving too fast for the conditions IS dangerous. Sometimes the posted speed limits give a good approximation of the max safe speed, sometimes they don't.

No wreck that I have ever been involved in (more than I would like to admit:( ) involved excessive speed on mine or the other driver's part. Pretty much every time it was a result of someone not paying sufficient attention to what they were doing and what was going on around them. You could make the argument that slower speeds allow you more time to identify and react to dangerous situations, but just how far do you take it? Surely we would all be safer if we were to lower the speed limit to 25mph on all secondary roads and 40 on all major roads?

The Kraken:
Repeat after me,

"9 miles per hour max over the posted limit", "9 miles per hour max over the posted limit", "9 miles per hour max over the posted limit", "9 miles per hour max over the posted limit", "9 miles per hour max over the posted limit", "9 miles per hour max over the posted limit".

the K

You're kidding right?

The last trip I took through souther Georgia I got to visit the local judge late at night for 6 miles over. No worry tho. They take cash, Visa, Mastercard and travelers checks. And I'm not joking.

hoosier:
My GF got a speeding ticket while she was driving for me. Sigh.. :no

It costs $190... OMG... :huh: The cops issued 17 miles over....

There is one trap spot (S curve) where the cops is always waiting for a bait. I forgot to mentioning the spot before getting caught. Ouch....

Well.. We can appeal for the ticket at the court though. The court belongs to Martinsville where a notorious KKK's former headquater was located. LOL~~

We had better pay the ticket than talking with some XXXX over there.

It was another long day......

Just wondering...., was the speed you were going; 17 mph over the regulatory limit (white rectangular sign), or the usual cautionary (yellow square mph under the "S" curve arrows)? If it was the second scenario, you'll beat the ticket. You are only advised to follow the recommended speed on a cautionary sign. The white rectangular signs are the regulatory and enforcable limits. Helped me once. The Judge volunteered that info to me. He must have been feeling really charitable that day, as it was during
traffic court.:eyebrow:

Wildcard:

around here driving the speed limit in the fast lane is a good way to cause an accident. i'm a big fan of matching speeds to the cars around you and minimizing speed differentials...

Back
Top Bottom