Spectra line for reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting:

...more difficult to handle and can cut thru anything but metal.knot strength is compromised by it's ability to cut into itself....

I've only used it as kite string, where weight, strength (and sometimes abrasion resistance) are of paramount concern. I always assumed that the problem with the knots was that they were coming untied due to the slippery characteristics, but it sounds like the tension may actually be causing the line to cut itself at the knot.

We've always solved the knot problem by glueing the knot with a little cyanoacrylate after tying, which would probably also serve to stabilize the knot and effectively eliminate (or distribute) the line tension.

Now I'm definitely looking forward to spring and the chance to conduct a couple of experiments - in and out of the water.

Specta is one of the other wonder fibers, I was down at my local Wal Mart and in the fishing section was this wonderful product that had high strength to weight ratio great knot strenght and very abrasion resistant..

Why if this product is so great why isn't it used more freely?? COST I know that Spiderline is very expensive to manufacture thicker strands I would guess that a 1/4 diameter would be very prohibitive to even make much less get someone to buy it..

Hmmm... looks like a test is in order. I think I'll install some of this stuff on one of my "private" sites and see how it wears. I'll report in a year or so.
Rick

Probably the things that make it a good bowfishing line are the very reasons it won't make a good cave/wreck line. The fact that it has Kevlar-like properties and it is so cut resistant, makes it unsuitable for these types of diving. Entanglement requires you to cut away from lines, and these make it all but impossible to do so with a knife.

Just a thought

ID

I received a sample of same from Swamp Rat. It is very nice
and I've done some not-very-scientific experimentation that
leads me to ask a question of those more familiar with its
characteristics...

Does it *tend* to float?

If so, I would not use it on a reel. When I have no tension on
the reel and there is "loose line" I do NOT want the line floating
up. I want it to *sink* away from the reel and my body. The seine
twine on my reels will *fall away* from the reel body if there is
any extra that has run off.

Does all that make sense? Any disagreements?

Low stretch, when tying off a cave line you need a certain amount of line stretch in order to keep the line taught.

If I remember correctly, it takes special knots to tie it, not just any old knot will hold it, it will slide through most knots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom