Spectra line for reels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new into the sport and want to ask if people use Spectra Line on their cave reels. If not, Why? We use it for Bowfishing it called "Fast Flight line"and I see they use it for spear fishing lines. But did not see it on Cave reels. It is more abrashion resistant than Nylon cord and slightly stiffer that would keep tangles less likely.

Really good question - I'm looking forward to seeing what other folks have to say about this.

I've used spectra line in kiting. It's low-drag and abrasion resistant qualities make it excellent for kites. I never thought about using it on my dive reels/spools, but I do have one immediate concern - the same low-drag properties that make it good in the air also make it really hard to tie a knot in. Kiters are used to applying a dot of SuperGlue to their knots in spectra line to keep them from coming undone, underwater this would be difficult. The penalty for a failed knot may also be a lot greater underwater...

I went looking to see what lb test these lines get up to and see about 1000lb test. Knots are a something to thing about but on a reel I would think you would tie a Loop or clasp on it and not worry about that.
So are you one of these people that get dragged around by a kite and fly with them? Something about straping a parachute to oneself and jumping in the wind just spells pain to me.

my experience with "spectra" (body armor and small spools of it intended for "trip wires", etc.) causes me to believe that it is NOT acceptable for use on reels or spools

1) it is "sticky"

2) it stretches

3) it is "stiff"

4) it "rots" more readily than the nylon that is used for
"seine twine"

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Seems to me that
"spectra" being used for some applications is due more to "it is
the latest" rather than "it is better" (kinda like Titanium for knives... it's not *better* than steel, in my opinion, it's just corrosion resistant ... for that matter so is ceramic. Ceramic
can be sharper than all-get-out but it is also hard and brittle
so in my opinion it makes a general UN-acceptable knife-blade
material)

dive safe. use regular nylon line.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

1) it is "sticky"

2) it stretches

3) it is "stiff"

4) it "rots" more readily than the nylon that is used for
"seine twine"

Green Guy, You must have another product in mind. Spectra line that is used for Bow fishing and Bow strings Have ZERO stretch and does not rot. As for Sticky I have not notice this. And Stiff it is stiffer that Nylon but only slightly and I would think just enough to help keep from tangling.

Could be. I will have to check the catalog from whence I
purchased the items in question. The purchase was made
several/many years ago when Spectra first came on the
scene for use in body-armor and was *competing* with
Kevlar.

Like many other items it is likely that what I have is old and
the product has been improved. What I have (assuming it IS
"Spectra") has the following characteristics

1) it is sticky

2) it stretches

3) it is stiff (i.e. when "bent" it actually forms rather nice right-
angles to itself)

4) left alone and not maintained it will show signs of degradation

Email me at Green_Manelishi@Juno.Com and remind me to"check that stuff". If I have erred, I will post a retraction and correction.

G_M

GM

Gotta second SR - I think you're talking about a different product than I was. The spectra line I'm familiar with is very low stretch, very light, very strong, is resistant to oxidizers and ultraviolet degradation and is very slick - that's why kiters use it. It's also available in a variety of tensile strengths, including some pretty hefty stuff.

I don't know about the military applications of this fiber, but for a little dope on how the kite flying (supply your own joke here) crowd use it: Spectra Line

Althouogh I have reservations about the stuff because of the difficulties I've had tying knots in it, looking for newer and better isn't necessarily a bad thing, otherwise I'd still be using my horsecollar...

I surfed to the web-site that you suggested and what I noted
is that the "kite line" says (some of) it is a BLEND of spectra
and ...

Also, FWIW the "stuff" that I own looks like dental-floss (no,
it is NOT dental floss) and it is relatively easy to tie a knot in
and when it is tied and pulled in against itself you will NOT
(no pun intended) be able to untie it.

People, If spectra was a better line for reels, don't you think it would be in wide use. Obviously it may have some advantages, however there are alot of very smart people out there and I'm sure they have tested various types of lines. If you really would like a good answer, post a reply at the GUE site. Someone there will have the right answer.

Just my 2 cents

Z:confused:

Spectra is a brand name for a gel-spun aramid fiber.(kevlar and similar)It is actually relatively limp.Extremely thin for it's strength,if you put more on to increase spool capacity it will be more difficult to handle and can cut thru anything but metal.knot strength is compromised by it's ability to cut into itself.Relatively expensive compared to other lines.I use it for marker bouys as it has less drag.The line I use has already been used for a year as fishing line for deep-dropping where it's 0 stretch and thin diameter are assets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom