Specialty License Plate update: CALL TO ACTION!!!

Would You purchase a Specialty License plate benefitting the Artificial Reefs?

• Yes

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Yes, but I would like to purchase more than one

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
That's 1998 data. The current FAQ online makes no mention of minimum membership or petitions. The legislature no longer approves them directly, they delegated that to TXDOT. Applications are reviewed each spring and fall.

Well, yes and no. The Lege CAN approve them directly...they just do not have to do so.

My least favorite part of all this is that the TPWD puts the criteria out there and then when you do try and get something going you get an answer that was really planned all long. That's just it there is no public input. They want you to think that so you will continue to support them, but in the end the decisions are already made before we even get started. But hey guess what? We do get retribution, the meeting on June 6 in Dickinson. 7PM, be there or be square.

All is not lost. There are currently other avenues being explored.

TxDot reviews applications twice a year, and IIRC has the ability to adopt 2 plates at each review.

There are other agencies that can sponsor this plate. There places other than TPWD that funding for the deposit can be drawn from. I along with several other people are making contact with other agencies that may be interested in helping bring the plate to the public.

It may take a while (What's ANOTHER 3-4 years) but I'll keep knocking on doors and buggin' people until it happens. I just hope that I'm not to old to drive by that point.:D

humanphibian:
It may take a while (What's ANOTHER 3-4 years) but I'll keep knocking on doors and buggin' people until it happens.

Exactly. Most of us aren't government people, we don't understand why someone can't just make a decision and git 'er done. But that's not how government works. Once in a blue moon an idea will catch the right support and get put into service quickly but that's a rare exception. If we get flustered and frustrated over a few roadblacks and lose interest shortly, "they" will win.

I don't think Txdot is limited to 2 plates per sessions, that's just their historical average. It's really bad timing for getting new specialty plates as they are in the process of eliminating dozens of low-volume plates that failed to generate sales. They are in a downsizing mode right now.

This may turn out for the best. Actually, I think TPWD is probably the last agency I would entrust to spend the proceeds wisely, given how they squandered the Artificial Reef budget in the last decade. We have a surprise in store for them.

ReefHound:
Exactly. Most of us aren't government people, we don't understand why someone can't just make a decision and git 'er done. But that's not how government works. Once in a blue moon an idea will catch the right support and get put into service quickly but that's a rare exception. If we get flustered and frustrated over a few roadblacks and lose interest shortly, "they" will win.

Honestly, TPWD punting is just something as simple as not wanting to devote staff time to managing a small pot of money with complex reporting requirements. They've taken major FTE hits over the years and really are running on a skeleton staff.

Blue eyes The Artificial Reef Fund is a Dedicated Fund which was established in 1989 It is not part of TPWD general Funds. Currently the fund supports at least 3 indviduals and an office in dickinson. Give me a break.

I want 2, one for me and one for the Diva Duck!

Debraw:
. But hey guess what? We do get retribution, the meeting on June 6 in Dickinson. 7PM, be there or be square.

Could you tell me more about this meeting? I must have missed the post on this. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom