specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

let's see. i have navigation,multi-level,buoyancy control,nitrox,photography.out of that group i think navigation was really handy to have,buoyancy control was one i was also glad that i took.:)

Why can't I read anything that Northeastwrecks says I only see "NT" what is up with that?

It actually means "no text". It tells you that the subject line is all there is to the post so you don't waste time opening up a message.

Even if your're planning on going for DiveMaster, there is at least one reason to get your Master Scuba Diver rating:

When going on a diving vacation, if you show your DM c-card, they might expect you to help less experienced divers. Showing an MSD card lets you dive "incognito".

I know a number of DMs that are picking up another specialty or two for just this reason.

WileEDiver once bubbled...
Showing an MSD card lets you dive "incognito".
Why do you need an MSD card? I've got a DM card rattling around somewhere, but I typically carry only my Nitrox card, and show that. I can get Nitrox if the need arises and it's simple proof of diving certification. The MSD card is a complete waste, IMHO.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

Why do you need an MSD card? I've got a DM card rattling around somewhere, but I typically carry only my Nitrox card, and show that. I can get Nitrox if the need arises and it's simple proof of diving certification. The MSD card is a complete waste, IMHO.

Roak

No reason for it other than a pat on the back. A diver who has trained in 5 specialty areas and has completed rescue training can get one and others can't. The card only means what it means to the diver. My doughter just got another aword for her grades in school. No one other than her and her family will ever care to see it.

The only real problem I see is that there are some who hold they card who don't dive very well. There are usefull speialty classes and some that are just for fun and are mostly fluff.

i found the peak performance bouyancy was a tad pointless until you have your own gear and are comfortable with it, your choice of equipment effects your bouyancy greatly and if your using all different types, your never going to be at your 'peak' because your going to have to do work out your trim and fitting every time, once you have your own kit and are happy with your configuration then you can work on mastering your bouyuncy with that perticular set up, thats just my opinion on it though

if you want to go tech I would do the rescue diver, dry suit diver, deep diver specialties

you could do the EAN but if you want to go full tech you will probably want some TDI or other agency certs

Phoenix once bubbled...
i found the peak performance bouyancy was a tad pointless until you have your own gear and are comfortable with it, your choice of equipment effects your bouyancy greatly and if your using all different types, your never going to be at your 'peak' because your going to have to do work out your trim and fitting every time...<snip>
If that is true, doesn't sound like a very useful specialty. I want a course that would teach me the necessary skills to adjust my buoyancy to the equipment I am using as well as the dive conditions.

Being a PADI Master Diver is just a title, if that. Don't take specialities and classes you don't really need just to say you're a "PADI Master Diver". That doesn't mean anything. You could take all of these specialties and log your 50 dives in a quarry or lake somewhere and be a so called Master Diver when you never even dove in the Ocean. Make gaining real diving experience in different places and in different diving environments your goal, not obtaining some meaningless title. If you interested in getting more training to improve your skills take a specialty course that corresponds with your diving interests. I have my PADI AOW and I am going to be doing a lot of wreck diving in the North Atlantic off the NJ coast. So I plan to take a wreck specialty course to learn the proper use of a wreck reel and techniques to penetrate wrecks. This I can apply to my diving interests so it's practical and I will be able to use the skills I learn from this specialty certification.

Marcos once bubbled...
Being a PADI Master Diver is just a title, if that. Don't take specialities and classes you don't really need just to say you're a "PADI Master Diver". That doesn't mean anything. You could take all of these specialties and log your 50 dives in a quarry or lake somewhere and be a so called Master Diver when you never even dove in the Ocean. Make gaining real diving experience in different places and in different diving environments your goal, not obtaining some meaningless title. If you interested in getting more training to improve your skills take a specialty course that corresponds with your diving interests. I have my PADI AOW and I am going to be doing a lot of wreck diving in the North Atlantic off the NJ coast. So I plan to take a wreck specialty course to learn the proper use of a wreck reel and techniques to penetrate wrecks. This I can apply to my diving interests so it's practical and I will be able to use the skills I learn from this specialty certification.

If you want to learn to use a reel and prepare to penetrate wrecks, the PADI wreck specialty isn't the place to do it.

Back
Top Bottom