specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...for the info. Sounds like a good course to take (and skills to work on before taking the class) - I seem to be overweighted, too. Look forward to hearing more about your experience after the weekend. Have fun.

hydroslyder once bubbled...
Peak performance buoyancy from what I have heard consists of getting yourself streamlined, weighted correctly being that most divers are overweighted, and it teaches you how to get your buoyancy perfect and how to control it. I will be able to elaborate more after this weekend because I am taking the first dive of that specialty. <snip>

caveman once bubbled...
How about this speciality " Experience " . I hear PADI is coming up with a new certificate for this too.
<snip> its just I dont believe in PADI any more. If they were certifying Pilots, we would have B747 captains ( jumbo jets ) certified after 6 months on the job....
Personally, I'm not trying to collect certifications - just trying to see if a particular course will advance my diving knowledge and be useful experience. For example, all of my dives have been from a boat. I don't think there will be much gained from taking a course to get a Boat Diver specialty - only a loss of my hard-earned money. If I want to dive at Lake Tahoe, however, Altitude Diver may be a good course to take because of the special procedures needed to properly plan a dive for a location at 8000 ft above sea level. That's why I am asking questions about the course content and the skill requirements.

I do plan to take things slowly. Hydroslyder has to because he's only 15 and can't start his DM until he's 18 :). By then he should have a lot of diving experience.

I can understand your cynicism and of course you are not the only one. There does seem to be a bit of hype to some of the certifications, but there must be some demand out there - but obviously not by rational beings such as ourselves :D

It is interesting to note that the SSI AOW rating requires 24 logged dives (and 4 specialty classes). Their Master Diver rating requirements are essentially the same as PADI's.

I like collecting cards, they have pretty pictures on them. 43 more and I'll have a full deck including jokers!!

good call caveman

i just completed padi divemaster and im into ai now (assistant instructor)

ive seen it here to people that have past the requirements by the skin on there teeth and have been given the rating ...i didnt even like diving with some of these people for there un professionlism
and attitude towards the sport (career)

safety????? whats that?
ive only logged about 80 dives and im still a begginer ...by the way you need 60 logged dives to be a divemaster

one thing that pi.sses me off is people getting the rating
like Aow or divemaster and they think there gods gift to the ocean
i have a trimendus amount of respect for the guys who have been diving pre 80s in the experimental stages of recreation diving or the ones who have gone out there and have done the diving we can only dream of those are the guys who need to write books on there experiences im sure there would be alot on here

:D

Again, it was a little abnoxious, but I did need to make a point. Yes, it is good to enhance your knowledge, by all means, but there are too many people ( here in Thailand ) who come on holidays, figure out they wanna stay, and do a Dive Master or Instructor level in no time at all. I watch them in the water, and just nod my head in disbelief at times.

Most of the cert bodies are happy to rush them through the courses - afterall, its good for the cash flow.

All I would like to see is people slowing the card aquisition down, and get more comfortable before they take a group or students. ( had to almost rescue an instructor once......... high seas, big waves, and reg was out of the mouth while putting the head underwater to take off the fins ...cough cough, splutter ...barely made it back on board.)

Why can't I read anything that Northeastwrecks says I only see "NT" what is up with that?

jtivat once bubbled...
Why can't I read anything that Northeastwrecks says I only see "NT" what is up with that?

It means that for whatever reason, he didn't want any more people reading what he wrote, so he edited the posts and removed all content.

Maybe he changed his mind, so he wanted to take back what he said.

amen!

jonnythan once bubbled...

It means that for whatever reason, he didn't want any more people reading what he wrote, so he edited the posts and removed all content.

Maybe he changed his mind, so he wanted to take back what he said.

Thanks!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom