Special Forces trainee dead - Key West, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Army Investigating Death Of NH Soldier During Dive Training
MANCHESTER, N.H. (CBS/AP) — The commander of the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School says the death of a soldier from New Hampshire is “sobering reminder” of the dangerous training undertaken by the Special Forces.

The Army says 30-year-old Staff Sgt. David Whitcher of Bradford died Wednesday while dive training off of Key West, Florida. The death is under investigation.

Maj. Gen. James B. Linder said thoughts and prayers go to Whitcher’s family, including his wife and son.

The combat veteran volunteered for U.S. Army Special Forces training in 2014. He was a student in the Combat Diver Qualification Course.

Officials say flags will be lowered to half-staff in New Hampshire for Whitcher’s memorial service when it’s announced.

“U.S. Army Special Forces Staff Sergeant David J. Whitcher was a decorated soldier whose service and sacrifice made our country safer and our freedom stronger,” Gov. Maggie Hassan said in a statement. “As a former member of the New Hampshire National Guard, he exemplified the very best of the Granite State’s strong tradition of service to our country during two deployments to Afghanistan.”

I think we've seen some special forces training at Ocean Divers in Key Largo. They came in with a bunch of BIG camo speed boats. What a terrible way to go in that occupation. :(

sad diving news and i thank him for his service to our country...condolences to family, friends and colleagues......

wow that's some tough testing just to qualify!

The best of the best are trained there.

I have witnessed some of that training.

Could not do it myself-WAY above my pay grade.

I do have high respect for those who do train to protect us all.

Training accidents do happen.

Condolences to family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom