Special Bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My LDS -- and, of course, many online retailers -- sells a specialized gear bag that they recommend for traveling with all my dive gear. I'm wondering if such a bag (at about $150+/-) is truly necessary for air travel, or whether a regular duffel from, say, Walmart would do the trick. What does experience have to teach me here? Thanks.

I pack my camera, computer and regs in my laptop backpack and all other gear in my suitcase along with a mesh gear bag in the suitcase for carrying the gear while at the destination.

A better bag will protect your gear. I hated to do but but a nice gear bag/suitcase...it was pricey but I feel a good investment. Mine is similar to this one: XS Scuba Wheeled Backpack Dive Bag- BG110 discounts on sale XS Scuba

You gotta decide how much traveling you'll do. Also picture your loose gear hanging out of a ripped duffel bag on the baggage carousel or the baggage cart in Belize. :shocked2:

Go to ebags.com...Wide variety of backpacks in various sizes....Less cost than a 'scuba' bag.......

I'll echo what JamesK said: I prefer not to advertise the possession of expensive scuba kit when travelling (especially in 3rd world countries, where the diving is so good). I tend to use an old backpack ~70L capacity - more anonymous and discrete, just as comfortable. I usually carry a folding mesh dive bag inside, useful for transferring/storing the scuba gear when I arrive at the dive shop/boat at my destination.

I believe that my dive gear is just as smart as my shoes. Neither of them know what kind of suitcase they are packed in.

There is no need to buy a special "scuba suitcase" to pack your gear in.

Use what type of bag that meets your needs. Do you want hard side? Do you want wheels? Do you want built in back pack harness? Do you want multiple compartments? Does it need to be waterproof? Do you need lightweight in order to meet airline bag limits?

We use a combo of our normal business travel suitcases (since they have a lifetime all perils guarantee) and a EPO Tarmac Duffle bag which just happens to be waterproof and back pack able. Waterproof was not needed, but the back pack has been handy sometimes where wheels just would not work.

I've traveled with my gear in a duffle in the past and now in a lightweight, fourwheeled hardside. This is mostly an accommodation to weight restrictions and/or my preference to wheel through the airport guiding my bag with one finger. Don't see any reason to pay for a specialty dive bag. If Mares or Akona want me to advertise for them, they can pay me. I'll happily accept cash or gear or dives.

Costco!!!!

http://m.costco.com/fūl-30"-Hybrid-Drop-Bottom-Wheeled-Duffel.product.100033728.html

these hold up well, have a dry pocket, will easily hold a full set of gear and all your clothes in a seperate compartment. We've used them several times and have no complaints. At that price you can't go wrong.

And they don't scream "scuba gear inside".

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

Or a dive caddy for a carryon.

I personally pack my gear in a hard suitcase, probably not as smooth and easy to stow as the soft ones and i bet more than one crew members of several liveaboard has cursed both once and twice but it does the job and doesn't scream "HEY, COME GRAB ME I'M FULL OF EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT THAT CAN EASILY BE SOLD ON THE BLACK MARKET".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom