Speargun advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
looking to get a speargun. planning to use it around wrecks, reefs, and rigs (mostly rigs). i would prefer something compact, easy to operate, and strong enough to take medium sized snapper and smaller. not looking to win tournaments, or buy a race gun, just a regular, dependable, compact shooter. any help is appreciated.

-h

There are an assortment of modestly priced spearguns that come very close to fitting your needs, AB Biller has a couple models as well as JBL; I'd say take a look at the "Woody Sawed Off Magnum" from JBL, though they do also make an aluminum travel gun (Travel Magnum) that can be easily lengthened by snapping in center sections & swapping bands.
There's a good spearfishing forum that you might want to check out but they'll have ya looking at the high dollar stuff for starters, which isn't really all that terrible if you have deep pockets or really get bitten by the spearfishing bug. :wink:

Look into a 36" minimum gun, like an AB Biller... I'd strongly suggest a 48" or larger for the Gulf though, they dont' have to cost an arm and a leg.

Look into a 36" minimum gun, like an AB Biller... I'd strongly suggest a 48" or larger for the Gulf though, they dont' have to cost an arm and a leg.

Although I would like shorter, I was thinking along the lines of 42". Is range a bigger issue with a smaller gun, or is it power/penetration?

you'll regret too short a gun, especially for rig hunting. they get big fish on the rigs.

you can power up a small gun for punch, but not for range. in order to get range you simply must have a longer gun.

You will find some Helldivers who hunt the rigs over on Spearfishing Planet - Powered by vBulletin

They're going to be a much better source of advice -anyone who hunts them will be over someone who doesn't.

A short gun is good for close conditions and/or really bad viz. For more open conditions & better viz you need range.

Go with Spearfishing Specialties out of St. Pete. they carry Sea Hornets which are very good guns. Riffe is pretty good also but expensive.

Man this thread should get good.. It’s like the old Chevy VS Ford thing, some things never die, they just get better. If your thinking about and all around gun I would just stop in and see Gary on this subject. True there are many different brands on the market but that is the same as in hand tools Sorry guys this is just a personal opinion JBL and Biller, I never cared much for other than a rock gun(jetty) I just gave a JBL away Sat before last you would have been welcomed to it.

My choice of gun is the Rhino A nicely crafted gun well balanced with a ruff texture for me the texture comes in handy when stepping off a fan tail boat most of the time there is less worry of losing a grip on it. It comes with a quick load system that cant be beat. A nice tri cut tip and your ready for just about any tip. Ray Odor (spelling ) is the best place to buy your spears his prices cant be beat. When your ready to do some hunting shoot me a PM and I’ll send you an addy where the local spearfishing guys swap storys and are looking for riders and boats their a pretty cool bunch of guys most are from MBT and Gulf Breeze

I've all but settled on a 48 Biller. Sorry, but I just can't justify a Cadillac gun. I'm more of a photography-type, and only plan on shooting steel a few times a year. If I end up getting the fever, I'll invest in something more pricy, and keep the biller as a spare, or for jetty stabbin'

I really appreciate the advice from you guys.

That Biller will handle nicely, I normally wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 48", but it seemed from your OP that you were already ruling that length out - I misunderstood.

My Biller has kept up just fine and you can find parts and service for them anywhere in this area as they are carried by virtually every diveshop in town. IMO, you chose wisely.

I've all but settled on a 48 Biller. Sorry, but I just can't justify a Cadillac gun. I'm more of a photography-type, and only plan on shooting steel a few times a year. If I end up getting the fever, I'll invest in something more pricy, and keep the biller as a spare, or for jetty stabbin'

I really appreciate the advice from you guys.

You should look at the 48 Rhino Sea Hornet it is the same gun as the Biller but has the Rhino coating and nicer riging, and is still a economical choice.

Back
Top Bottom