Speargun advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, I wanna get started into spearfishing and i have no idea where to start. Any advice??

Follow the links in this thread for some good info. I also talked to guys that were into spearfishing already, and talked to folks at my LDS. My LDS was nice enough to let me try my gun out in the water before committing to anything, so that was very nice.

Lots of folks will try to talk you into buying the most expensive gun you can find. I looked at the rigs that were actually being used by other divers, and found that many of them used A.B. Biller guns in the 42"-54" range. Next in popularity are the Riffe guns, too rich for my blood at the moment, but perhaps at some later date. (the Riffe guns ARE very nice btw)

I went for the 48" Biller. If the other guns are more accurate than the Biller, then I'll never need another gun. The thing shoots like a laser (I'm used to shooting pistols, so that may have helped). Of course I was shooting stationary fish-sized targets, and current was not an issue, but I'm hoping that some of my practice success translates into fish this weekend (I'm going on a spearfishing charter). I'll be sure to report my victories and failures after the trip.

ps: Whatever gun you get, I found it very helpful to practice reloading in the water. First, when you are concentrating on the gun, your buoyancy control will suffer. Try to stay at a constant depth while reloading, so you don't blow your ears, or ascend too quickly. Also, I learned the hard way that you can easily mess up your band and lines underwater. Practice proper placement of band, line and shaft so that your gun will work properly when it comes time to pull the trigger. Finally, don't forget to mind your safety, and make sure it stays on until you are ready to shoot something.

Piratediver614 i think i read in another post that you certified at Southern Skin Divers, stop in and tell them you want to try out some guns if theres no one in they'll let you try some in the pool. They offered to let me try some but I haven't got around too it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom