Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Reef look on the charts off Westerly town beach. Check the current charts also. That's a nice out of the way spot rich with life and usually has good vis.

Scuba or freediving? Do you have access to a boat or kayak or would you be going straight from shore? What sort of fish are you after?

i'm usually on scuba so its mostly blackfish (tog) and flounder but from time to time i freedive for stripers. a couple of times i was lucky enough to bump into schools of blues and that was a blast.
lately it's been shore dives only but i'm almost done fixing the boat so that should change pretty soon.
from what i hear there are some guys freediving off fort adams but honestly i've walked around that place and can't figure out a place to get in and out safely, maybe i missed something, ..., it was while ago.

if anybody is into spearfishing in mass there's a nice place next to white horse beach, if you follow the shore south there's a fish market on top of a cliff right next to the water. in the back of it is a ladder to the water. getting in and out can be quite challenging but the fishing is good and depending on the season there's plenty of bugs as well.

it's just closer and more convenient for me to go down to RI.

p.s. is the federal registration valid for spearfishing in RI as well or rod and reel only?

i go to ft adams a lot also kings beach. the federal reg is good in all ne state except conn.i asked a epo at ft adams and got the info from him
erk

The tough thing about shore SCUBA diving and spear fishing is you are supposed to carry a flag and most don't as toting a flag and operating a spear gun can be dangerous in its self. Its a double edged sword, thus going from boat is much nicer and you usually don't tote a flag while boat diving. My buddy got some nice tautog at Old Reef and I highly recommend giving it a try when the tautog are running big.

I have not done it in years,but, Seal rock/ledge was always good for tog while free diving.Never used scuba to shoot fish in RI..We enjoyed the challange to free dive for them.Also Brenton reef was very good for tog and stripers.All out of Newport on an inflatable zodiac with a 35hp motor.

The tough thing about shore SCUBA diving and spear fishing is you are supposed to carry a flag and most don't as toting a flag and operating a spear gun can be dangerous in its self. Its a double edged sword, thus going from boat is much nicer and you usually don't tote a flag while boat diving. My buddy got some nice tautog at Old Reef and I highly recommend giving it a try when the tautog are running big.

I usually take the flag/float and anchor it somewhere. Then I pick it up on the way back.
The DEM wants to see a flag with your gear. I don't think they know if your actually towing it. The float is a good place to hang your catch if you take it with you.

I like that idea AfterDark just like the dive around the FT Wetherill Island where I plant the flag and retrieve it for the trip in.

Back
Top Bottom