Spearfishing with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say your perception here is valid, although perhaps a little exaggerated. Overall, flying a rebreather is similar to driving a car, flying an airplane, etc. To a certain extent you are continuously monitoring your instruments, position, etc. A car requires less monitoring than an airplane just as OC scuba requires less than a rebreather. The third dimension added to flying might be compared to the added systems/hazards rebreather diving adds to diving. Certainly manageable, but more easily compromised by external tasks and with bigger consequences. Heavy task loading like fighting a big fish can most certainly cause you to not take care of business when diving CC.

You go, rigdiver! Try not to flood your loop when some large fish you've plugged takes you on a Nantucket sleigh ride.......oh, yeah, if he takes you vertical it'll be fun to watch you manage your ppO2 - while you're tied to the fish......

Please do your CCR spearfishing quietly so if you become a statistic no one will ever know. CCR's don't need the negative PR.

Biminibill

Hey Biminibill;
Have not seen this thread in a while. I've done the Texas sleigh ride with 70+ lb Cobia. Let's see now I've been spearfishing for 30+ yrs and now diving CCR for 5. I personally feel ready to spear a fish on CCR. Like I tell my students: "start small and work your way up. Learn how different fish react to being speared."
I have no intent of being a statistic. I have let expensive guns go when things got out of hand. Please go protect someone else from themselves.

Bill Childers NAUI 5709L CD/IANTD 1982

Oh, and quit hiding:D

I would consider it pretty damn inappropriate... but realize my opinion is not always shared by everyone!

Hey Bill's
Two red snapper in a day and one AJ. Boys is that really going to knock the fish stock down? Give me a break.
And BiminiBill, have you ever seen a red snapper rocket to the surface? You know the answer is NO. Or a grouper? They go to the bottom and hole up or try to. Really can't see my ppO2 dropping in these instances. I've put a few thousand snapper and a few grouper in the boat. I know I know how they react and how to handle them:)
Bill

Well Rigdiver, there's one glaring word in what you wrote: I, I, I. OK, you've been diving 30 years and spearfishing...me, too. You could most likely handle a big fish on a rebreather....me, too. That's us and a few others. What about the rest? I know a few fantastic P-51 Mustang pilots. I know a lot more who are pretty good with a Cessna 150. Don't want to see them try to fly a Mustang, though. I suspect they wouldn't survive.

Rebreather or free diving, or open circuit. Why would you want to fight a big fish (one that pulls you and you can't pull it) under water? Choose the right gear for the fish you're after and you don't have to fight underwater. That's not wise no matter what type of diving you're doing.

Rebreather or free diving, or open circuit. Why would you want to fight a big fish (one that pulls you and you can't pull it) under water? Choose the right gear for the fish you're after and you don't have to fight underwater. That's not wise no matter what type of diving you're doing.

I know some cajuns that use bangsticks and pick em up off the bottom. Oh, I used I again:wink:

Well Rigdiver, there's one glaring word in what you wrote: I, I, I. OK, you've been diving 30 years and spearfishing...me, too. You could most likely handle a big fish on a rebreather....me, too. That's us and a few others. What about the rest? I know a few fantastic P-51 Mustang pilots. I know a lot more who are pretty good with a Cessna 150. Don't want to see them try to fly a Mustang, though. I suspect they wouldn't survive.

No, diving for 40 and teaching for 30.:D Spearfishing ~ 36.

never tried it and im kind of confused about what a rebreather is actually. A little help here please

Back
Top Bottom