spearfishing question. What's the rule Nh/Ma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll probably have to find your own hot spots, but I recommend starting out with a pole spear and going after big flounder.

Flounder are masters of camouflage, sort of like chameleons of the sea. They will often stay still and change color to match the bottom rather than run, so they're pretty easy targets to start with... tasty too!

Thanks MSilvia, yeah i have a pole spear and so far flounder are all ive shot/seen except a few small baitfish and crabs. thanks again

Ah, here you go, Ma div of marine fisheries diver information, first page, left side are the diver spearfishing regulations. Your friend must have had one of the illegal species listed here.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/diverinfo.pdf

"Striped bass, shad, smelt, blue & white marlin, and sailfish cannot be taken by spearfishing..."

Boy, on a side note.... not sure I'd want to spear a sailfish... that would be quite a ride!

I hope the EP don't find out about that Marlin I speared in Foley Cove.

I dont think the Environmental Police would care where you got the fish. If you return to your slip in MA with a striped bass that you spearfished in NH, you could possibly be fined. Im not sure exactly what the law states, but it would seem fishy to me (pun intended).

Fisheries regs almost always include clauses about "landing" or "possessing" which gives the them the power to cite someone in this sort of situation.

Experience. As a beginner, you might want to mark your spear so you can compare the fish you're looking at to "legal length". If it isn't obviously bigger than legal, don't spear it.

Matt

Good suggestion!!!

Thanks
Nick

Can anyone tell me what the rule is on this subject? I slip my boat in Ma right on the Nh border. I dive and fish in both states. I love to dive and want to get into spearfish. Can I spear a striped bass in Nh but return to port in Ma with it?

p.s.i'm new to this board, any help or tips would br great
I hope this question in in the right section!

thanks
therockfishchef

A buddy of mine is an avid free diver and totally into spear fishing. He just moved up to S. NH and chompin' on the bit to free dive here locally. Prior to moving here, he did most his fishing in RI. He's been trying to get me to go free diving with him but I'm more interested in staying down than bobbing up and down.

Very interested in what you find out not just in NH/MA but in ME as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom