spearfishing question. What's the rule Nh/Ma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

therockfishchef

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the rule is on this subject? I slip my boat in Ma right on the Nh border. I dive and fish in both states. I love to dive and want to get into spearfish. Can I spear a striped bass in Nh but return to port in Ma with it?

p.s.i'm new to this board, any help or tips would br great
I hope this question in in the right section!

thanks
therockfishchef

therockfishchef:
Can anyone tell me what the rule is on this subject? I slip my boat in Ma right on the Nh border. I dive and fish in both states. I love to dive and want to get into spearfish. Can I spear a striped bass in Nh but return to port in Ma with it?

p.s.i'm new to this board, any help or tips would br great
I hope this question in in the right section!

thanks
therockfishchef

the rock fish on state street? Im originally from NBPT

I dont think the Environmental Police would care where you got the fish. If you return to your slip in MA with a striped bass that you spearfished in NH, you could possibly be fined. Im not sure exactly what the law states, but it would seem fishy to me (pun intended).

Spearfishing in MA is totally illegal! someone i know got busted for doing it...had to pay a huge fine and almost got thrown in jail for it.

Scuba65:
Spearfishing in MA is totally illegal! someone i know got busted for doing it...had to pay a huge fine and almost got thrown in jail for it.

What were they spearfishing? I believe that one can spearfish for flounder in MA with no problems (as long as they are legal length!!!). You can certainly not spear striped bass though.

Ah, here you go, Ma div of marine fisheries diver information, first page, left side are the diver spearfishing regulations. Your friend must have had one of the illegal species listed here.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/diverinfo.pdf

"Striped bass, shad, smelt, blue & white marlin, and sailfish cannot be taken by spearfishing..."

Boy, on a side note.... not sure I'd want to spear a sailfish... that would be quite a ride!

Scuba65:
Spearfishing in MA is totally illegal!

That's just not true. You don't even need a permit unless you're going to sell your catch.

There are prohibited species though... stripers probably being the most significant, but also marlin, sailfish, shad, and smelt cannot be taken by spear, snare, or net.

can anyone give me some tips or hotspots in the south shore? im new to spearfishing. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom