spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trickie Dickie 99:
Might be up for a dive to TroyD & Isles de Phoques (with Island Divers) if you fancy it. Water was a balmy 17C and 20M vis at Lagoon Bay Kelp Forest this w/e.

17C? Sounds a bit too warm for my liking. Still - looking forward to seeing the new wreak, so you’re on.

Will be down there for one week at the end of the month, can finalise later. Any other club members keen?

To stay on topic: Berdman, Spare Air is the plaything of the devil. Go for a 30 or 40 ft: the larger size will be useful as your diving develops. Aluminium tanks are preferred as they are not as negative as steels.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
17C? Sounds a bit too warm for my liking. Still - looking forward to seeing the new wreak, so you’re on.

Will be down there for one week at the end of the month, can finalise later. Any other club members keen?

To stay on topic: Berdman, Spare Air is the plaything of the devil. Go for a 30 or 40 ft: the larger size will be useful as your diving develops. Aluminium tanks are preferred as they are not as negative as steels.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Club boat's booked up on "other duties" over the last weekend. Don't know that anyone would want to come out on the Troy D again, we've given it a bit of a flogging of late. TBH, I'll certainly give it a go but I'd be keener to get back on the Phoques too. Caves & seals and GWS to try out my big pointie knife on...whoopie doo. I'll give Island Divers a call, see what they've got happening if you like.

Do you need gear?

Should probably take this to PMs eh?

Steve R:
Let that be a lesson to you Jeff, If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly. You mean SOB.

:popcorn:

Oh yah, the pigeon has flown..........happy viewing.
LOL..

Berdman, Here is something to consider. You are thinking in the right direction here by looking into redundant air systems in case of an emergency. Very commendable. I have never used a Spare-Air so I can't comment on them, except they seem a bit small capacity-wise. I am a member of a Fire Dept. SCUBA Team and we use 19 cu. ft. Pony's attached to our main tank. We have quick release attachments so we can hand off the bottle if needed. For personal recreational purposes, Zeagle has Pony bottle straps that attach to your main tank straps and will hold the Pony securely. This is what I use when I am diving recreationally with a single tank. I also use a quality regulator on the Pony, after all, it is life support and worth the cost. If you choose to go the Pony route, you can eliminate the Octo from your primary first stage. I went with a fairly short hose and bungee the second stage around my neck.
I hope you find a system that works for you. Just do yourself a favor and don't scrimp on a reg. It's your life you are dealing with. Good luck!

sooo yeah I am going with a 19cf, first time one of my threads has 3 stars :-D. I am going for a pool dive in two weeks and work any problems or mounting issues out. I think that as my sac improves a 19 will be better. Turns out the pony pressure gauge is cheaper at my lds too :-D.

(I am thinking of strapping it to my leg ;-) that will be mucho no?)

"Just do yourself a favor and don't scrimp on a reg. It's your life you are dealing with. Good luck!"

The reg I am going to use is a mk5 1st with a Sherwood octo. I had them serviced when I bought them, the only prob with the set up is the spg didn’t work so I was SOL, but now I have a use for it. When they got serviced I was told they are a hard breathing reg that was the only issue with it. From what scubaboard told me is a mk5 is a very good 1st stage.

Trickie Dickie 99:
I'll tell you a little story - about a year ago, I was diving off a charter boat locally and had the misfortune to be out there with a pair of divers who were DIR trained and equipped, both with gear and attitude (DIR no worries, attitude was well off though); they spent the whole trip out taking the piss out of my "recreational" gear, my antique Conshelf 14, my sh_thouse pony rig and my technicolor drysuit. Anyway, not particularly wanting a confrontation with two loud mouths half my age, I just laughed it off as best I could.

Funny thing was to see the worm turn as they did the old giant stride into 40M of water and one of them had forgotten to turn his air on. Watching a bloke furiously treading water in a nasty chop, trying to get a breath, and scream for help, loaded with a twinset and gawd knows how much weight, with a deflated wing and drysuit would have been almost funny if it hadn't been so serious.

That is my only experience of DIR trained divers, looking at their gear set-up and then watching them dive, (all the gear, no idea etc), so Steve, on that first & last point, maybe you are absolutely right. You tell me?

And finally, forgive the long-winded post but it's a public holiday here.
Unless you can prove to me, beyond the shadow of a doubt that they were GUE trained (and passed)...:rolleyes:

SparticleBrane:
Unless you can prove to me, beyond the shadow of a doubt that they were GUE trained (and passed)...:rolleyes:

Well they looked a bit like that bloke in your Avatar as I remember. Wouldn't have trusted em in the shower though, not without a rescue boat anyway.

Trickie Dickie 99:
Well they looked a bit like that bloke in your Avatar as I remember. Wouldn't have trusted em in the shower though, not without a rescue boat anyway.

How do you know where these "blokes" got their training from? Just because a diver acts like an arse doesn't necessarily make him GUE trained. Heck, he might be a BSAC diver. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom