spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Berdman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking in to a secondary air supply since most of my diving will be solo. I have been looking at spare airs 3cf since it is under 200 bucks. But a review for it says it is hard to breath from at 15ft and it free flowed once on them. The other option is H2O Odyssey Extra Air System but at an extra 100 bucks it’s pricey.

Are there any other options, or does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks for your times

(what does the spare air travel kit include? :-\ is it worth 11 bucks?)

First, search the archives for Spare Air to get the dirt on them. (IE, there are lots of issues with them that makes them a poor choice for most environments)

Second, search for Solo diving - read everything and learn that if your profile is correct - less than 24 dives, you shouldn't be solo diving yet.

Once you are ready to solo, simply spend the money to get a proper pony system, doubles or independent doubles rig.

in_cavediver:
First, search the archives for Spare Air to get the dirt on them. (IE, there are lots of issues with them that makes them a poor choice for most environments)

Second, search for Solo diving - read everything and learn that if your profile is correct - less than 24 dives, you shouldn't be solo diving yet.

Once you are ready to solo, simply spend the money to get a proper pony system, doubles or independent doubles rig.

I did a search the other day I must of spelt it wrong..... I already have solo dived, thanks for caring though :14:

You can buy an aluminum 80 for $150 and an inexpensive reg for another $200.

Think about it.

the K

I do agree with cavediver. You should research forums before making decision. I personally went with 19cf pony bottle that I had assembled myself over the winter. It cost me around $320

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_7406.JPG
    IMG_7406.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 147
In a catastrophic failure will 3 cubic feet of air save your life? Check you SAC rate and see if it would be enough air! Remember you SAC rate could escalate by a rate of 10 times when stressed.

Butch

Do you know what depth you can go to and rely on a 3 CF spare air for your only gas? Throw in a safety stop? How deep can you be now?
If you don't know the answers to those questions, you probably shouldn't be doing solo yet.
How deep will you be diving? Will the 3cf get you to the top safely if you run out of gas? Do you know how fast you will go through 3 cf at 80 feet based on a SAC calculated when you are under a LOT of stress.
If you do know the answers to these questions, then you probably will realize that it isn't a good option for much more than cleaning a boat. (OK maybe a bit severe)
At a minumum I would get a 13 cf or 19 cf pony and pick up an inexpensive reg.

Outlaws makes an excellent point.

Lets say you're at 100'. Things go wrong! Your SAC goes up to 1.5 CFM. At 99' that equates to a gas consupmtion of 6.0 cubic feet per minute based upon you SAC rate and your ATA. That gives you 3 minutes of breathing gas time to stop, breathe, assess and rectify and then still make your ascent.

That, my friend, is in my opinion, cutting it waaaaay too close to the bone.

the K

Hey Berdman, I have to second the pony. It all depends on your SAC rate, but from all I've gathered by talking with more experienced divers and reading on SB, a 19cf pony will stand you in a much better position at depth incase of an OOA incident. MTC, stay away from the spare air.
I too want to solo dive, eventually. . . hey, why don't we get together and solo dive together?:wink:

HUH!?
Solo diving with spare air?
Surely you jest!:rofl3:
If you are going it alone then you should be going with nothing less than a 40 cu/ft and a QUALITY reg.

Please! Don't make one of us have to come fish you out of the pool.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom