Spare Air / Pony Tanks - Real life stories ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I actually bought one at DEMA.

The roars of laughter from the dock kept me from ever filling it.

I could take some cute pictures with it though....

One problem is the reg is supposed to be very unreliable. The service guys won't touch them.

I would imagine the reason they make a Nitrox Spare Air is not to increase bottom time, but rather because they assume you'll be bleeding off your tank, and if you're a Nitrox diver, you're filling it with Nitrox, therefore it would need Viton o-rings, oxygen compatible lubricant, whatever is involved with cleaning a cylinder for o2, you guys know this better than I do...

Rob

robzr:
I would imagine the reason they make a Nitrox Spare Air is not to increase bottom time, but rather because they assume you'll be bleeding off your tank, and if you're a Nitrox diver, you're filling it with Nitrox, therefore it would need Viton o-rings, oxygen compatible lubricant, whatever is involved with cleaning a cylinder for o2, you guys know this better than I do...

Rob
The reason they make it is so that they charge more money to the super idiots that would actually buy it.

partial pressure filling a 3cf cylinder - that would be something...

Real Stories, eh?

Seldom have seen eyes as big as those of a guy who belatedly realized he was unable to directly ascend to the surface with his pony. He had carefully calculated just how much air he needed to do that and had sized the pony accordingly. But there was an unexpected strong current and the ascent line was mobbed and the seas had come up so he didn't want to make a free ascent and he didn't have a smb anyway.......

Spare Air in specific? I can't say I've ever seen anyone with one, except on that Hawaii Lifeguard show. But, I have seen some ponies down in the 6cf range.

JeffG:
The reason they make it is so that they charge more money to the super idiots that would actually buy it.

Is your sig intentionally ironic? :huh:

I was really hoping this thread would not turn into people bashing ponys and spare airs without posting actual experiences or facts (because thats how every other pony thread is)... but I guess 10 / 26 posts isn't bad.

Rob

JeffG:
I just think its cool that they have a nitrox Spare Air.

Didn't they make the nitrox spare air so you can off gas faster while Rocketing to the surface?!? :D

JB says they have them for heli crashes in the water. I might keep mine in the glove box, in case I drive off a bridge.

you guys are harsh.

I never understood how come spare air, as a concept, is 100 % bad

But a pony botttle is salvation. ...Ace? (that's jeffG)

Rob...my real life story is that I bought one, I endured ridicule and then I took it to my repair guy and he fishslapped me with it. Seriously...I wanted to use it. EVEN if it was a reasonable peice of gear, ...not worth the stigma.

I got a dinky 1.7 CF Spare Air that I used to keep for kayaking attached to my PFD in case I get pinned so I have a little bit of time to bail out or get rescued. Problem is about every 2 years the check valve fails and the plastic cap explodes off of the fill fitting and scares the hell out of me and the cat. I am tired of sending it out for short lived repairs. Anybody know where I can get an overhaul manual ? It is currently busted and I refuse to pay someone to work on it.

Back
Top Bottom