Spare Air / Pony Tanks - Real life stories ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No and he didn't say how he would have calculated his ascent/deco requirements vs. the available gas in the pony - while narced on the bottom. Same problem(s) Don had.

When you start busting a plan little ol' pony bottles don't give you many options.

This one gets my vote for the best of the best of stories.....

"I am writing this letter to thank you for making a product that helped me save a life. We were at approximately 120 feet when my one friend signaled he was low on air. I noticed my other diving buddy signaling he was having problems with his air supply. We noticed he had a partial opening of his DIN valve. I now was faced with two problems; the first was a diver with less than 300 psi in his cylinder, and another diver with an intermittent supply of air. I made a very easy decision, I gave the first diver my octopus, the second diver my primary regulator and I took out my SPARE AIR. We immediately began our ascent at a normal rate of 60 ft. per minute and we were able to make the surface with no problem. I will always dive with my SPARE AIR due to this situation and along with the confidence that I can make a safe ascent from normal sport diving depths."

Donald E. Nelson, PADI Instructor, Logansport, IN

ROFLMAO :rofl3:

Scuba_Steve:
This one gets my vote for the best of the best of stories.....

ROFLMAO :rofl3:
I just think its cool that they have a nitrox Spare Air.

Hasnt anyone here breathed thru a free flow???? You dont simply spit out a reg thats free flowing. Breath it, if you have a pony: open the already charged valve, hopefully your buddy is moving in to assist in turning off your main and make a controlled ascent at some point re charge the back gas. Its not brain surgery.

"I am writing this letter to thank you for making a product that helped me save a life. We were at approximately 120 feet when my one friend signaled he was low on air. I noticed my other diving buddy signaling he was having problems with his air supply. We noticed he had a partial opening of his DIN valve. I now was faced with two problems; the first was a diver with less than 300 psi in his cylinder, and another diver with an intermittent supply of air. I made a very easy decision, I gave the first diver my octopus, the second diver my primary regulator and I took out my SPARE AIR. We immediately began our ascent at a normal rate of 60 ft. per minute and we were able to make the surface with no problem. I will always dive with my SPARE AIR due to this situation and along with the confidence that I can make a safe ascent from normal sport diving depths."

Donald E. Nelson, PADI Instructor, Logansport, IN

Now this guy above truly is an octopus LMAO

“Being an instructor I have a sense of security because I know I have my Spare Air. I do not enter the water without it. It gives you the control to make that ascent. My dive masters use it, I use it, my students use it. I feel comfortable with the fact that it’s always there."

Dave Martinache, Lakewood, CO
(emphasis by me)
Sounds like they have issues with running out of air...a lot.
"I feel comfortable with the fact that it's always there." What if it isn't?! OMG!!!!11!!!!1

oh lordy...not me.

But....rolling a spare air in their general direction, I could see that. Or use a boat hook.

We need to all ask Dennis if he has been using that pony set up he bought.

I don't own a Spare Air, but I wish I had one last night at the movies when I sat near a guy who was passing alot of gas :(

JeffG:
I just think its cool that they have a nitrox Spare Air.

Yes, increasing your NDLs is really a nice advantage. Or, diving it as regular air and having that extra layer of conservatism.

I actually bought one at DEMA.

The roars of laughter from the dock kept me from ever filling it.

I could take some cute pictures with it though....

One problem is the reg is supposed to be very unreliable. The service guys won't touch them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom