Spare Air & Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Possibly. If the hose were to get a kink in it or snag as you tried to pull it out, you probably wouldn't be able to reach it to un-kink it. Have you thought about slinging it under your arm? Then you could have the hose strapped to the tank, and would still be able to un-kink it if necessary, also this keeps it out of the 'slipstream' and thus reduces drag and entaglement hazards.

Also keep in mind that you probably won't be able to get that small breath from what's left in the hoses most of the time. The reg will probably free-flow sometime during the dive and drain the hoses.

I have practiced a lot with it in this configuration UW and never to date had it bind or snag but it is a possibility that I keep in the back of my mind. I use old copier belts cut into strips for the bands and coupled with the lubricating effect of the water the hose slips free easy enough. If I used a bigger bottle I would sling it under my arm. Where I position the bottle I can run my right hand the entire length of it with ease.

I can reach the reg, place it in my mouth, reach back and get a full turn out of the valve in less than 10 seconds. Every time I have inhaled before the valve was on I got air, not much but enough. the second is a Aqua lung micra adj that I have on the lowest settings.

Seems to work well for me but advice is still appreciated.

I share the concern about having the pony reg positioned out of site - it could make it difficult to access in the event of an emergency. You might want to consider attaching it to the front of your BC or securing it around your neck (depending on how you have the alternate from your main tank secured). This would ensure you can locate the regulator in the event of an emergency.

On a related note, the hose on your pony reg seems short for it being mounted valve down. Do you find that your head movement is limited while breathing off of the pony? If so, take a look at buying a little bit longer hose.

eandiver:
Seems to work well for me but advice is still appreciated.

Slinging it might be better. I just picked up a 19cf Al pony and have it set up as a stage. A pain in the neck when swimming on the surface (when I was practicing) but at depth it's out of the way while still being right there if needed.

Try it out and see what you think.

eandiver:
I keep my octo from the main and don't want 3 regs on my chest. All done in OW at less than 120 fsw.

Another option is to eliminate the octo, which will eliminate a potential gas leak source. Free flow, hose, o ring. Most free flows are caused by first stage. Any gas leak, including an unlikely second stage malfunction can either be managed with main second stage, or more likely by going for pony backup, anyways.

Assumption is made both secondaries are attached to one primary reg.

Main purpose and advantage of octo is to allow two divers two share one gas source, as opposed to provide backup for some type of equipment malfunction. Whatever redundancy octo provides is provided by pony and its reg.

Building a robust system goes beyond adding adequate layers of redundancy, into eliminating unnecessary ones.

Consideration for buddy diving should be given when kit is used for this purpose as well, and no changes wish to be made from one setup to another.

ctdgray,
The hose length is fine for me but on the other hand if I had to let another person breath from it I would have to use the quick disconnect and do a hand off.

v1_matst,
With a bottle that small what is your set up for slinging it? One reason I have it in this position is because I do spearfishing and need to have a free range of motion for my arms. Does your setup allow this?

Scuba,
I think I have a have a problem of being too redundant and trying to cover too many possibilities. Hard to let go of the octo and I think I would feel lost with out it but it would clean things up.

Scuba:
Another option is to eliminate the octo, which will eliminate a potential gas leak source. Free flow, hose, o ring. Most free flows are caused by first stage. Any gas leak, including an unlikely second stage malfunction can either be managed with main second stage, or more likely by going for pony backup, anyways.

Assumption is made both secondaries are attached to one primary reg.

Main purpose and advantage of octo is to allow two divers two share one gas source, as opposed to provide backup for some type of equipment malfunction. Whatever redundancy octo provides is provided by pony and its reg.

Building a robust system goes beyond adding adequate layers of redundancy, into eliminating unnecessary ones.

Consideration for buddy diving should be given when kit is used for this purpose as well, and no changes wish to be made from one setup to another.

Excellent advice. I dive with one second stage on both my primary and my pony, as does my buddy. Whether I'm diving solo or with him, the configuration works great.

eandiver:
v1_matst,
With a bottle that small what is your set up for slinging it? One reason I have it in this position is because I do spearfishing and need to have a free range of motion for my arms. Does your setup allow this?

My tank looks like this (without the 'oxygen' wrap):

gm2051.jpg

snap at the valve gets attached to the d-ring on the left side of my chest and the snap at the bottom goes on my left hip d-ring.

Now, this may appear to be cumbersome and in the way at first but you really need to give it a try before making up your mind about it. At depth it doesn't 'disappear' however it is out of the way. I can't imagine you would have much trouble while spearfishing but your results may vary.

As for the bottle being small, it isn't an issue for me... I'm not what you would call "tall" (I'm 5'6" so I'm not a midget either) so the tank size is just right for me.

I sling my 19 cf pony under my arm. The 2nd stage and hose are held tightly to the bottle using a cut section of bicycle tubing. I attach the bottle to me with a spring-closed brass clip to a D-ring on my bcd harness near the right shoulder and to another D-ring on the bcd belt near the right hip. I wear the bottle upside down; this prevents damage to the 1st stage while searching as it can hit rocks, etc., while hugging the bottom and feeling through the muck at the bottom of our no-viz rivers. This works very well for me and since my pony saved my life once, I never leave the surface without it! I've grown accustomed to it and feel completely comfortable with the bottle under my arm. I also like the fact I can deploy it quickly for someone (other than me) who may need it. Deployed under the arm and tight to the bcd gives me the impression that I'm not significantly increasing drag. I'm not saying this setup will work for everyone, but I like it.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I will try the under arm position and see how it works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom