Spare Air & Pony Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmartin2237

Reaction score
If you had just gotten yourself into a bad situation that required the use of one of your backups which one would it be first.

pmartin2237:
If you had just gotten yourself into a bad situation that required the use of one of your backups which one would it be first.

You generally wouldn't carry both. You'd carry either the former or the latter.

And you'd only carry the spare air if you had gentle buddies. Otherwise the abuse factor would tend to get seriously tedious.

And many will comment that you ought not to carry either.

To each their own, but don't show up with both or people will giggle helplessly.

BTW, welcome to the board, and take a minute to fill out your profile.

pmartin2237:
To be honest, I wouldn't be diving with a spare air so it's not an option. I want a real backup when I dive. If I'm below 30' that means a buddy or a decent sized pony. Above that I consider the surface to be my backup.

James

I always dive with a 13cf pony but upgrading to 30cf. You wouldn't catch me with one of them phony little spare air things. Of course, it is called spare air - about a good lung full.
You obviously haven't been diving long if you carry both. So, if this is the case I do not recommend you diving solo. It requires a great deal of knowledge, experience and self dependency. Stay safe.

I always dive with my Spare Air.
I usually don't dive in an overhead enviroment, the only overhead enviroments that I've done, are mild pentrations (never loose sight of the nearest exit) in well prepared cleaned before sinking wrecks.

I've tested my Spare Air in controlled ascents from 70 ft and the miniature tank last enough to get to the surface in a very controlled manner.

If you have to deco or do a mandatory safety stop, you probably need a pony bottle to do it, but if you dive in the NDL part of the curve, you can just get by with the Spare Air.

You should not need to use the redundant air source if you plan and execute your dive correctly, I always carry it, but have never needed to use it, every now and then I use it just to use the mechanism and make sure it's working properly, but it's always at the end of the dive and with plenty of air in my tank!!

Mandy3206:
I always dive with my Spare Air.
I usually don't dive in an overhead enviroment, the only overhead enviroments that I've done, are mild pentrations (never loose sight of the nearest exit) in well prepared cleaned before sinking wrecks.

I've tested my Spare Air in controlled ascents from 70 ft and the miniature tank last enough to get to the surface in a very controlled manner.

If you have to deco or do a mandatory safety stop, you probably need a pony bottle to do it, but if you dive in the NDL part of the curve, you can just get by with the Spare Air.

You should not need to use the redundant air source if you plan and execute your dive correctly, I always carry it, but have never needed to use it, every now and then I use it just to use the mechanism and make sure it's working properly, but it's always at the end of the dive and with plenty of air in my tank!!

Have you never heard of Murphy's law????

**** happens. You don't plan on it, and spare air just isn't going to be enough when it hits the fan!

The only down side of the pony bottle, is the added cost due to bigger bottle, extra 1rst & 2nd stages, attaching hardware, ect. and the larger profile that it creates.

I don't have one, 'cause I really have no use for it, but when I get technical or the diving enviroment or plan calls for it, I'll gladly fork out the dollars to get it.

Mandy3206:
The only down side of the pony bottle, is the added cost due to bigger bottle, extra 1rst & 2nd stages, attaching hardware, ect. and the larger profile that it creates.

I don't have one, 'cause I really have no use for it, but when I get technical or the diving enviroment or plan calls for it, I'll gladly fork out the dollars to get it.
How much is your life worth to you? The benefits of having it there far outceeds the cost of the tank, reg, and 1st stage. I've never had to use mine either and hope that I never do but, I know it's there and I know it works. I do regularly test it and sometimes suck it down in shallow water just to get fresh air put back in it. I fully agree with DEEPLOU, Murphys law affects everyone not just the other guy or gal. I guess though that the important thing here is not what kind of extra air that you take with you but, that you do take some kind of air with you. Even if I don't agree with it and won't agree with it. Experience is the teacher, remember that and dive safely.

Norman

How much is your life worth to you? The benefits of having it there far outceeds the cost of the tank, reg, and 1st stage. I've never had to use mine either and hope that I never do but, I know it's there and I know it works. I do regularly test it and sometimes suck it down in shallow water just to get fresh air put back in it. I fully agree with DEEPLOU, Murphys law affects everyone not just the other guy or gal. I guess though that the important thing here is not what kind of extra air that you take with you but, that you do take some kind of air with you. Even if I don't agree with it and won't agree with it. Experience is the teacher, remember that and dive safely.

Norman

I agree 200% with you Stingray, life has no $ value, that's why when the dive calls for bigger redundant air supply, I'll have one for sure, for now the Spare Air acomodates my current necesity.

You can bet that if I get to penetrate and OH enviroment, it won't be without a Pony Bottle securely fastened to my BP!!

I think that we can all agree that the Spare Air must be limited to less than a 90' and no OH enviroment!

What do you think?

There is actually one good use for a Spair Air: strapped to your back on a deep free dive. Therefore, I would only use a 20+ cf pony slung as a stage bottle above 130 feet, and doubles below that.

Back
Top Bottom