spare air advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not get spare air, I would get a 13 cu ft pony, it's very portable not much bigger that than a 6 cu ft and it should give you more than enough to ascend slowly.

wouldn't a bc and reg, spg, and octo cost way more than $200 for a pony? I would love my own gear but I just don't get out as much as I would like to justify that cost. I dive 7 days out of a year. or 7 days every two or when I get to go on an exotic vacation. I just don't know if it warrants all the equip...

It might cost more, but might be a better solution, since the condition of the borrowed stuff concerned you enough to consider a spare air or pony. If you have to buy a reg set anyway (for pony) forget the pony and get the regs! And renting at home, before you go, would still allow you to check stuff out before your trip in a pool, and certainly might reduce your concerns about quality of the equipment. I know its tough to thumb a dive when you are only there for a short time, but if the gear is questionable, live to dive another day.

DepthCharge:
One thing that I learned thru my years of diving is that the best person to get me out any problem is me. Nice to have a buddy, but the only person that I can guarantee that will be there everytime is me. So all my dives are planned as self-reliant.
I do carry enough gas to get me and some one else out of a problem, even when I'm diving "solo". But that is a whole LONGGGGGGGGGG post.
It's good that you are questioning what is posted here..........My style of diving works for me. It may not work for some one else. The idea is to have system that works for you and your buddy and is safe. Only way to find out is ask around, and try the ones that make sense to you.
And it doesn't take any special training to know how to use a pony. You pretty much have it down.

thank you!
reminds me of a situation I found myself in a couple of years ago. I was diving with a group in curecau. My fin felloff I found myself up-side-down doing the one legged frog kick trying to get to the bottom. I looked around and saw my buddy about 10 or s feet from me. he could not se what was going on to help due to mask periferal vision loss. I was starting to rise instead of sink. I pulled on the dump cord on the bottom back of the bc an got to the bottom. fixed my fin strap that had come loosefrom the toggle and caught upto my buddy. the whole dive he had no idea what happened untill I got to the boat. He never saw a thing. I always rely on me first. hemce this thread. thanks

greyfin:
It might cost more, but might be a better solution, since the condition of the borrowed stuff concerned you enough to consider a spare air or pony. If you have to buy a reg set anyway (for pony) forget the pony and get the regs! And renting at home, before you go, would still allow you to check stuff out before your trip in a pool, and certainly might reduce your concerns about quality of the equipment. I know its tough to thumb a dive when you are only there for a short time, but if the gear is questionable, live to dive another day.

hmnnn you might be right. However, you may have noticed that one of my other threads isabout dive computer which I plan to buy first. I'm tired of letting someone else tell mehow long i've been in the water ect. than I have just about another $200-$300 and I don't think that would get me far with a BC and a reg set. But, as I said its something to think about. thank you.

CORALCRAZED:
hmnnn you might be right. However, you may have noticed that one of my other threads isabout dive computer which I plan to buy first. I'm tired of letting someone else tell mehow long i've been in the water ect. than I have just about another $200-$300 and I don't think that would get me far with a BC and a reg set. But, as I said its something to think about. thank you.
There are deals on computers all the time... I just saw an aries for under $200. Personnally I believe in the:

1. Regulator
2. Computer
3. BC (oh, sorry BP/W)
4. Wetsuit (if needed)
5. Things like a pony bottle.

I believe you will be safer with good working equipment. Oh, and dive more, it makes the investment seem far more reasonable.

Puffer Fish:
There are deals on computers all the time... I just saw an aries for under $200. Personnally I believe in the:

1. Regulator
2. Computer
3. BC (oh, sorry BP/W)
4. Wetsuit (if needed)
5. Things like a pony bottle.

I believe you will be safer with good working equipment. Oh, and dive more, it makes the investment seem far more reasonable.

man if I get all of that than Iwill not be going on muy next vacation and get to use the new equip. in my bath tub. :rofl3:

2 questions. wha is a bp/w and what is that in your avatar? trying to fiure it out. is it a scorpion fish?

Coral, I just went back and read some of those posts here...a lot have very good advise.. some don't. I've gone decades and not had a single issue or problem... I've also gone months and had really ugly things happen. And vacation diving can be a bit nerve racking.

Things sometimes do happen.. sometimes odd things that no course will every teach you...

Let me think - ok, how about this one.

I was doing a two tank dive in the Philippines, off of a small boat. At the end of each dive you take off your gear, they haul it in the boat and you get back in the boat...unknown to me.. they drop some one's tank on the second stage. When I get in the water on the second dive, which is a direct decent, the entire second stage just floats apart. Off comes the purge, the diaphram, the two haves of the retaining ring...not so easy to breath off of. But I have my own reg, and it has a octo that is the same as the primary, so I just switched to that and did the dive (with my buddy). Nothing wrong with being concerned...

My thanks to Scott for fixing the reg later.

CORALCRAZED:
man if I get all of that than Iwill not be going on muy next vacation and get to use the new equip. in my bath tub. :rofl3:

2 questions. wha is a bp/w and what is that in your avatar? trying to fiure it out. is it a scorpion fish?
Bat fish... will see if I can find the original I took...

And asking about a Back Plate and Wing is not safe to do here...

Here is a scorpion fish from last month:

scfish6.jpg

Don't have it on this computer.. will PM the whole fish tomorrow to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom