spare air advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
Hello, to everyone out there... this is my first post:D I don't want to have to rely on another underwater for the most precious comodity... AIR. anyway all of my diving is in warm water when I vacation. My dives vary from 40 ft to 90 ft deep. I'm looking to get a "spare air 3.0 cu system". anyone have any good or bad about this item? any other recommendation? also whats th best way to mount this thing? thanks

Its a POS.

Look at a pony bottle configuration instead.

JeffG:
Its a POS.

Look at a pony bottle configuration instead.

Why should he look at the pony bottle configuration instead?

texdiveguy:
Because its better than a 3cuft Spare Air POS.

I know its a tough concept to grasp.

For a little more money you can buy a "real" pony bottle and an inexpensive regulator.

You can buy cheap regs on sale for about $120, and a pony bottle for about the same. Add a stage kit (or make it yourself), and you have a WAY better setup than the Spare Air.

JeffG:
Because its better than a 3cuft Spare Air POS.

I know its a tough concept to grasp.

Please explain fully....we need details.

The best way to mount a spare air is in your pilots survival vest. This product was originally designed for the navy in the event that a pilot ditched at sea and was unable to clear the aircraft before it started to sink, to give him a few seconds more to get out. Because it looks like scuba gear someone got the bright idea of marketing it to gullible divers. As soon as you get any depth, 3 cf of air is just enough to fertilize complacency and get the diver in deeper fertilizer.

texdiveguy:
Please explain fully....we need details.
Maybe I should be like you and just post a link.

JeffG:
Maybe I should be like you and just post a link.

You made a statement with no facts OR link....gee!

OP....you might do a SB search on this topic....it has multiple coverage. Welcome to the board!

texdiveguy:
Mostly size... 3 cubic ft is not much air. Depends on your diving, but I would suggest one at least 6 cubic ft for warm water, shallow diving.

If you look at your normal fairly new diver, their SAC rate is usually around .8 (depending on size, condition.... etc, etc.). So, at 60 ft, a full 3 cubic ft tank would last (assuming one is somewhat relaxed).....just over one minute. Assuming you are surfacing, you have just enough time to do a an accent..with a lot of "ifs".

With 6, you now have time to do a 30 ft per minute accent and have a bit left over, but still no safety stop.

20 would be more reasonable, but if you are travelling, that gets to be a pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom