spare air advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CORALCRAZED:
ok I guess spare air is a stupid idea... any pony bottle suggestions out there? thanks
You are replacing a buddy problem with more equipment. Why not just upgrade your buddy instead? Your equipment has no reasoning skills to problem solve with.

John

CORALCRAZED:
wow... I know a slow asend is very important... However, when I dive on vacation with a group they almost never go that slow. Its true that they will asend from the deepest dive slowly to a depth of about 45 feet and thn once we see the boat and th dive master decides to asend up. tht last part I do not belive is done slow.
One could argue that being slow at the end is far more important than being slow at the start.... based on just % pressure change per ft.

PerroneFord:
Buzzards gotta eat too.. same as the worms.
and the circle of life continues.

John_B:
You are replacing a buddy problem with more equipment. Why not just upgrade your buddy instead? Your equipment has no reasoning skills to problem solve with.

John
There can be the insta-buddy issue on trips.. I get it all the time.. sometimes they cannot take care of themselves, let alone help you.

is it safe to say that spare air is better than nothing. Or is it the same as nothing?

Puffer Fish:
There can be the insta-buddy issue on trips.. I get it all the time.. sometimes they cannot take care of themselves, let alone help you.
I understand all-to-well. That has to be factored into the dive plan.

John

CORALCRAZED:
is it safe to say that spare air is better than nothing. Or is it the same as nothing?
Honestly.. it is far better than nothing.. if it is all you have...

But a H2Odyssey is not a lot more.. and it is, at it's smallest 6 cfm...

Puffer Fish:
One could argue that being slow at the end is far more important than being slow at the start.... based on just % pressure change per ft.

I can see this... scary story BTW. 800 PSI wow. Now I remember burning 500 PSI in dive class simulting free flow. You forget thesethings.

I am afraid that if I do ascend at 30 ft./sec the boat might leave. I will sertainly be the last in the waterthat is for sure. Seriously what does one do? I like to be a safe diver. is this even possible when diving on vacation?

texdiveguy:
Please explain fully....we need details.
Come on man. You have over 3600 posts here. This can't' possibly be the first Spare Air thread you have seen. I've suffered through at least a dozen.

Spare Air
Stressed SAC-1cft/min
Available air-3cft
3ATA=1 minute of air

Pony bottle
available air-19 to 40cft (depending on size)
3ATA=6 to 13 minutes of air (probably longer as you will have a chance to calm back down)

Which one will give you the opportunity to evaluate your situation and react?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom