spare air advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CORALCRAZED:
I'm just looking to get to the surface ok without a safety stop.
Why would you want to skip your safety stop?

If you just want to get to the surface, probably a CESA would do the trick. Its cheaper too, plus it weighs less.

But if you intend to drag a tank around with you (and a spare air is a tank), why not plan for a worst case scenario. Which would be lose of gas and a required stop. In this case, a spare air just isn't enough gas.

CORALCRAZED:
does anyone really asend at 30 ft/sec anyway? I truly don't thinkI ever asended that slowly.
a lot of people go slower than that. 10 ft per minute.

CORALCRAZED:
does anyone really asend at 30 ft/sec anyway? I truly don't thinkI ever asended that slowly.
Spare air wars aside, you need to learn to ascend at LEAST that slowly, if not moreso!

(Of course JeffG beat me to it!)

John

CORALCRAZED:
ok I guess spare air is a stupid idea... any pony bottle suggestions out there? thanks
Kill one horse, just to beat another. Cool

wow... I know a slow asend is very important... However, when I dive on vacation with a group they almost never go that slow. Its true that they will asend from the deepest dive slowly to a depth of about 45 feet and thn once we see the boat and th dive master decides to asend up. tht last part I do not belive is done slow.

Well, it depends... are you doing a nice relaxed.. comfortable run out.. or a near panic... Oh my gosh, I'm out of air situation?

If you are at 90 ft, and breathing at say 1 or 1.2, you have only a couple of breaths... you can get to the surface (assuming you only take one breath at that depth)...My smallest is the 6 cubic ft one that is not much more money.

Have I ever run out of air...other than doing tests.. no. I can comfortably make a free accent from 60 ft, at 60 fpm, so for me, all I have to do is get to the 60 ft point to be comfortable.

Have I been close to having an issue? Yep. Two months ago I had the second stage supply valve spring break on my scubapro reg.. resulting in an uncontrolled free flow. Had it been at the end of the dive, I would have run out of air before I could get the air shut off and it stopped. As it was, I just lost 800 psi...
CORALCRAZED:
woa! this board is awsome. thak you all for all of your help so far... I have seen the calculations and debate... however, we are talking about an emergency situation... is 3.0 cu not enough to surface at 60 ft/sec? from say 90 ft depth? Please advise...has anyone also been in out of air situation? scary stuff... Ithough about pony bottles but I can get the spar air for $193 and its compact enough to take along on a week vacation. Is it just afalse scence of security? some here have said 30 cu. isn't this just overkill? I know we are talking about air but 30 cu. ft.? I'm just looking to get to the surface ok without a safety stop. So, obviously I'm not figuring on a situation where too much time has elapst. I thinking of a regulator issue or sudden loss of air and want to get to the surface. Please set me straight. if I'm way off tell me.

Back
Top Bottom