spare air advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony bottle size depnds on the diver - if you're 6'5, weigh 250 pounds, and breathe air like a whale, a 13 just will not cut it.
If you're going to mess with a pony rig, the 19 or 30 is not too bad for most people. I have 40's for deco bottles, and they get a little cumbersome for most dives.
On the rigging - there are a number of well-engineered bottle attachments that clamp the pony to your main tank. I still prefer rigging it like a stage bottle. I like the warm, fuzzy feeling I get KNOWING the thing is tucked right under my arm. It's in the the way a little, but worth the aggro.

I have 30s for O2 and 40s for 50/50. The 30s fit so nice under that right arm I usually forget its there.
I do have a 19 I keep in FL because I basicly dive alone. When one of those FL ops insist I be with someone else, I don't really consider them a buddy, just someone who I will keep close eye on.

Forget the spare air it is a piece-o-crap. It provides about 13 breathes of air (or something useless like that). I have a 19 cu ft pony that I side mount to my tank. It will provide me with enough air to make a safe acent with a safety stop from 100 ft. That is what you want, something that will give you the air you need if it all goes wrong. That P.O.S. spair air isn't going to do that for you. Yes it is more expensive than a spair air, but if you ever need it it will have paid for itself a hundred times over.

Ok I see one continuous comment here but I find one problem. He keeps asking about spare air or a pony for his vacations etc. I was under the impression you cant take pressurized tanks onboard aircraft which is why on dive vacations they always provide weights and tanks as part of the boat fee. So doesnt that make the point no point?

Ok I see one continuous comment here but I find one problem. He keeps asking about spare air or a pony for his vacations etc. I was under the impression you cant take pressurized tanks onboard aircraft which is why on dive vacations they always provide weights and tanks as part of the boat fee. So doesnt that make the point no point?

you don't travel with it pressurized.

We are talking TSA here! They arent the sharpest tools in the shed. I know you dont travel with it pressurized but I thought any bottle like that they would have issues with.

you did say pressurized. Anyway, apparently some folks do check ponies without incident, removing the valve and putting clear wrap over the opening. Sometimes for good measure they tape the TSA notice saying it's allowed around the tank.

You got to watch out because there is another page on the TSA site that says flatly that scuba tanks are NOT permitted on airliners. It may have been superseded but it is still there. The page you refer to says compressed gas cylinders but only mention specifically paintball, which makes one wonder if TSA realizes that scuba tanks and compressed air cylinders are the same thing.

I've taken stages on checked baggage without an issue. I remove the valve and screw in a cap, then tape on instructions for removal of the cap and replacement. I gear my instructions to the education level of a 12 year old, and I am polite. Then, I do this trick so that I can tell of the cap has been removed or not, and as it turns out none of my tanks have ever had the caps removed and had the insides inspected.

Go figgure...

you did say pressurized. Anyway, apparently some folks do check ponies without incident, removing the valve and putting clear wrap over the opening. Sometimes for good measure they tape the TSA notice saying it's allowed around the tank.

So I did, oops. Meant that style of tank, the kind that can be pressurized. I think there is still a no scuba tanks rule on planes according to TSA btw like OXY said.

Found this on TSA's website: Sporting Goods – Scuba tanks are not allowed on commercial airlines for safety reasons. Ship scuba tanks or consider renting a tank at your destination. Fishing tackle and sports gear – such as bats and lacrosse sticks – must be checked. Campers traveling with gas containers for grills or stoves must find another way to ship the containers separately, as they cannot be checked or carried onto a plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom